I trunk chopped my trunk chop.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me laughing, bravo to you, though it's really a ticking time bomb, even the monkeys think it's funny when that pops, so much so people take pictures, so I gotta leave on the ship and get bit by a snake off Sao Paulo.

Sorce

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Carpinus Betulus, collected last summer.

I made this thread to update it every now and then.
Nice, I’m looking forward to the progress. I bought a couple of chunky hornbeam stumps today (well, started at 12ft before they met me). Not as nice as yours, but they have a similar girth. Good material to learn development of the species on though.

Well the thread is certainly off to an entertaining start ;)

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Me laughing, bravo to you, though it's really a ticking time bomb, even the monkeys think it's funny when that pops, so much so people take pictures, so I gotta leave on the ship and get bit by a snake off Sao Paulo.

Sorce
Cruise time?

Reaction score
Nice, I’m looking forward to the progress. I bought a couple of chunky hornbeam stumps today (well, started at 12ft before they met me). Not as nice as yours, but they have a similar girth. Good material to learn development of the species on though.

Well the thread is certainly off to an entertaining start ;)
Nice, Haahahaa enough has happened so far. snakes, chickens, trains, busses.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
View attachment 459868
Wired the tree last week. There are still some little things that irritating me.
whats irritating you? Looks like a good decision to chop. I might make more of a split in the top. only if possible. looks to me the volume of wood there could be reduced carefully. and I might cut the long straight branch on the right of the apex in half, back to the shoot lower down. being so high up, it will fill back out in quick time.
A split like this you can partially see through, can help to reduce the weight of wood up top

Attachments

• 43188504814_24effe366e_c (1).jpg
    43188504814_24effe366e_c (1).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reaction score
whats irritating you? Looks like a good decision to chop. I might make more of a split in the top. only if possible. looks to me the volume of wood there could be reduced carefully. and I might cut the long straight branch on the right of the apex in half, back to the shoot lower down. being so high up, it will fill back out in quick time.
A split like this you can partially see through, can help to reduce the weight of wood up top
Thanks, I'll definitely consider that deadwood. I will indeed prune that branch back, it is too straight. I also want to improve the nebari on the left side. Not well visible in the photo, but also needs improvement.

Top Bottom