• No (can you tell why?)

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

hierophant

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm considering a similar project and curious how this is going!

What I'm considering: a bald cypress group planting in a container that floods and drains according to the local flood tables. (I live in Baton Rouge, LA.) It would live outside year round, and it would spend part of the year with some or all of the roots submerged.

I'm not sure whether I need fish in there for the full ecosystem; at least in theory (based on the two flood plain PhDs I talked to about this at a bar last month), the roots should be fine on aeration during the flood cycle, and will get supplemental aeration during the drain cycle.

Any advice from what you've seen in your project so far?

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As long as that's in the context of a pond-situation, that sounds cool....it's when you deal with aquarium glass and algae that the aesthetics go to seed. Worst case scenario, you take out your trees to live a conventional bonsai life, and you still have a nice fish pond.

hierophant

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As long as that's in the context of a pond-situation, that sounds cool....it's when you deal with aquarium glass and algae that the aesthetics go to seed. Worst case scenario, you take out your trees to live a conventional bonsai life, and you still have a nice fish pond.

Thanks! Really, the question is: do I need supplemental (pump) aeration if I'm not also raising fish? It seems like the answer is no.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks! Really, the question is: do I need supplemental (pump) aeration if I'm not also raising fish? It seems like the answer is no.

for the sake of controlling the aesthetics, I would still have a pump with water circulation and filtration...that way you can at least control the level of cleanliness even if the tree's health doesn't demand it. But why have it, if it doesn't look good?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really, the question is: do I need supplemental (pump) aeration if I'm not also raising fish? It seems like the answer is no.

If it's an ebb and flow setup, you shouldn't need any additional aeration. If you do decide to raise fish, as the water drains back into their tank, I would allow the water to splash or to be somewhat turbulent as it falls back in and that should provide enough aeration (I would think, but I guess it depends on the type of fish).

Top Bottom