I wonder why Thuja gets a bad rap....

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Can Slovakian-Speaking folks understand the South-Slav Languages (without specifically learning them?)? Just Curious
I am Slovak. We can very very good understand Czech it is just like change of country dialects. We can quite good understand Polish without learning, but it is harder. Other slav languages are more harder. Some words we can understand but some not. For example I dont understand russia (but our fathers do, they was forced to learn it on schools when we were under russian “protection”). I do not know if I could understand south-slav languages - I do not have opportunity to meet them except Slovenia. When I was there for few days on bike trip I found out there are many similar or same words as in Slovakia language. Maybe it could be similar to compare if there are some irishs, scots local dialects and accents harder to understand to normal english. And sorry for my english, hopefully you could understand me :)

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am Slovak. We can very very good understand Czech it is just like change of country dialects. We can quite good understand Polish without learning, but it is harder. Other slav languages are more harder. Some words we can understand but some not. For example I dont understand russia (but our fathers do, they was forced to learn it on schools when we were under russian “protection”). I do not know if I could understand south-slav languages - I do not have opportunity to meet them except Slovenia. When I was there for few days on bike trip I found out there are many similar or same words as in Slovakia language. Maybe it could be similar to compare if there are some irishs, scots local dialects and accents harder to understand to normal english. And sorry for my english, hopefully you could understand me :)
I understand you, just fine, my friend.

That's why I was curious! I was friends with a Slovakian exchange student named Scarletta. And from what I remember of her language... It sounded similar to that of Bulgarian/Serbian/Macedonian family of mine (my blood is a decent portion Native Balkan)

You are right, with using Scottish/Australian/UK English! That's EXACTLY what I was wondering.

Spanish/Portuguese is another similar contrast.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
(but our fathers do, they was forced to learn it on schools when we were under russian “protection”).
*Spits on the ground*

I understand this, well....

If my grandfather was alive.. I bet he'd have tried to volunteer for THIS conflict!

He had... VERY strong opinions about those empires "protecting" his people!

🤣🤣

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
If anyone has any White Cedar post em up...

Also, I just noticed that Ryan Neils Live stream is on Thuja in 2 or 3 weeks. I will have to watch that 1 or 6 times.

Here is perhaps my favorite tree in my collection.... a Thuja that I collected in spring 2016. The after picture was a couple of weeks ago since then I have started working the foliage more.View attachment 158242 View attachment 158243
amazing tree... can i ask what you used as soil for the newly collected tree?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't seen @mattspinniken post it (but maybe I missed it), so I'll just drop this here.

Mauro working on one of Matt's trees:

Thanks for posting this. This tree was a tough one to collect and I sold it to a freind who had it styled by Mauro. Seeing Mauro work this tree was very interesting and inspiring for me as I prefer to style all of my own trees. In this case I was able to see what a real pro can do, the result was better than I thought. I sold the tree because I knew it could be good but it felt too straight. The way he styled it made me really not mind the "straightness" of the material.

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thuja occidentalis ‘Tater Tot’.

A globose cultivar of Eastern Arborvitae that grows exceptionally small foliage fronds. Promising for those of us in zones 3 and 4 where dwarf Hinoki may suffer some dieback. I imagine that this cultivar will lend itself nicely to Shohin and Katade-mochi sized bonsai.

Attachments

• 0C958762-365D-4415-97C2-1C9509098BD4.jpeg
    0C958762-365D-4415-97C2-1C9509098BD4.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 28
  • DFBE6221-9AA7-4E76-88AB-1552D33F391A.jpeg
    DFBE6221-9AA7-4E76-88AB-1552D33F391A.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 29

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

I also enjoy working and cultivating thuya!

Here the two I take care of:

20230702_173252.jpg
Screenshot_20230629_184212_Facebook.jpg
20230624_142823.jpg

They work well for me..as I get full sun all day these tree really enjoy this environment.
They are also really resistant and easy to shape and maintain!
Depending on the species I also think a certain size is required to appreaciate the foliage.

Thanks
Ugo

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
it's interesting seeing this thread for a first time as a newcomer to the hobby. it seems Thuja has come a long way in it's reputation in the past 6 years, as i see no shortage of them being put to use for great trees.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A landscape nursery or a bonsai specific nursery? Yes thats a very interesting piece, looks massive
A landscape nursery.
I almost backed out because of the size, but the price was good.
Very grateful for the forklift that loaded the tree into my truck; and for the Scandinavian wife that helped me unload it.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A landscape nursery.
I almost backed out because of the size, but the price was good.
Very grateful for the forklift that loaded the tree into my truck; and for the Scandinavian wife that helped me unload it.
The landscape nurseries are where its at, if you can get yourself a tradecard even better! Keep us updated on the tree

Top Bottom