In the beginning...

1John 3:16

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello all!
This is my 3rd attempt at bonsai, unforseen circumstances didn't allow for a bonsai garden.
Now, I have 1 Carolina Cypress, 1 Japanese Red Maple and some Lemon and Apple tree seeds, some already in a pot others germinating.
I do understand the Carolina Cypress isn't one that is suggested, but I love the color of the tree and would like to try my hand with this type of Cypress.

My question: I think I'd like to do a root over rock or an informal upright or combine the two. I'm looking for style suggestions for my Carolina Cypress. Does anyone have some input?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Don't just Google images of bonsai, either. Check images on the Internet for trees growing on rocks, or old cypresses, etc.

I find it helpful to have a photo or two on hand as reference material as I style a tree. It keeps me from styling the tree as a "bonsai" instead of as a tree in nature, and helps keep me from getting stale by applying the same rules to trees one after the other.

1John 3:16

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great advice, I have kind of been thinking that already. I don't like to follow rules but I'd love to let the tree do its thing naturally!
I've been researching growth rates, ideal environment, feeding times etc. For this lil gal so I can, hopefully get best results by letting it grow naturally.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great advice, I have kind of been thinking that already. I don't like to follow rules but I'd love to let the tree do its thing naturally!
I've been researching growth rates, ideal environment, feeding times etc. For this lil gal so I can, hopefully get best results by letting it grow naturally.
I'm still a sucker for sinuous movement in a trunk for ROR. Hanging out over a cliff. Winged elm. Especially for the smaller scale trees. But honestly...ROR is so cool...that even without the movement...its cool.
FB_IMG_1613852111104.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy 3rd!

Sorce

Top Bottom