In the spirit of showing some trees........

Cali-Mike

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all......
I've been working with bonsai over 13 years, and I proudly say, I still don't know squat!
I've been "lurking" here for over a year. Sometimes this place reminds me of a car wreck......you just can't look away. lol.... But I have learned a lot here too. So in the spirit of showing some trres.......Here's an old juniper I've had for sometime. Any suggestions?

Mike

Attachments

• 08-11...jpg
    08-11...jpg
    83 KB · Views: 97

Cali-Mike

Seedling
Reaction score
I agree Will. That's my goal with a lot of my trees this fall. I've been getting lazy lately. Must be old age.......

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This would be a great tree to take to a bonsai workshop on wiring. What you need to do is wire ALL the foilage and bring all the small branches down so that they spread out and down. Take a look at the recent thread on the shimpaku juniper titled "before and after":

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1470

It will show you a tree that started in a similar condition to your own, and then a bonsai master spent 8 hours wiring all the branches, thinning, and positioning them.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What BNut said, it's all in the details, until you wire,(even if you detest it) you won't see the real potential of this tree, until you wire wire unwire rewire, and then you can prune and thin.

Cali-Mike

Seedling
Reaction score
Your right. I hate wiring. Maybe because I'm lousy at it. But, I have spent 5 hours today trimming & wiring. I also slip pot it into a slightly larger pot. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. But I agree.............it's in the details!

Cali-Mike

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm not done wiring each individual branch yet. I haven't detial wired a tree like this in years. The new pot is a the only glazed pot in my colection. I kinda like it. I needed a larger pot, and this is the only larger pot I had avaliable. I usually use un glazed pots. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 36

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'll let the bonsai guri's speak to the form, shape, wiring, pot shape etc.....but for me the first thing I noticed (OK second the pot colour was first) was the branch cut (centre lower middle-looks yellow) is very distracting to the image. Can you soften it somehow? The pot colour has picked up some of the foilage hues and that's why I like the coloured pot .
Cheers

Top Bottom