indoor lighting - Is this ok

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I bought a 4 foot dual buld set up. I purchased the bulbs and they are as follows:

GE
Sunshine
F40T12
Light output 2250 lumens
5000k Color temp
90 cri

Are these ok for use for indoor Ficus and BRT? I have the bulbs about 4 to 5 inches above the top of the plant

jmuzzey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is an internet site that I have bought lights from in the past for a reef aquarium setup that I used to have, but they also carry and are originally known for their horticulture lighting. They carry everything from T5 to T12 flourescents and Metal Halide lighting. The T5s allow for more bulbs in less space, use less energy, last longer and provide higher PAR(photosynthetic active radiation) than the T12 and T8 flourescents. They also do not put out as much heat. I love the T5 setups I have, and would never use anything else anymore. The site is www.sunlightsupply.com

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I think a 6500 k bulb might be better light for plants than the cooler 5000

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
so the one I have is no Good?
I should go to the 6500?

I can not get the T5 so I am using what I can get / afford.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use standard shop lighting from Home Depot.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Jack Wikle, of Tecumseh MI, has been a pioneer in keeping plants happy and healthy under artificial lights. He uses standard cool-white bulbs from a DIY store like Lowe's, period.

The Fort Wayne club visited Jack back in June, and I asked him then whether he still uses just ordinary cool-whites. His answer was "Yes."

Here are a few pictures of his indoor trees. The juniper on the left in the first picture has lived exclusively under lights for -- are you ready for this? -- 31 years!

Attachments

• Tecumseh 2011-6-25 010.jpg
    Tecumseh 2011-6-25 010.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Tecumseh 2011-6-25 008.jpg
    Tecumseh 2011-6-25 008.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Tecumseh 2011-6-25 007.jpg
    Tecumseh 2011-6-25 007.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 52

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone else ever tried a juniper indoors under these lights? It may be worth trying. I keep my plants in the basement under lights. It is 60 degrees and they do well. I have a 2 ficus and schefflera. I'm going to try a schefflera group this year.

It looks like he has moss on the plants. Does moss also grow under these conditions?

Last edited:

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I read up on his light set up.

I redid mine to accomidate the south facing window. I now have two 4' shop lights using cool white and sunshine bulbs.

I am a little nervous about bringing in the junipers and putting it under the lights.
I will post the photos of the my set up soon

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of the key things that may go unnoticed here is that this guy has been doing this for 31 years--a very long time. His success depends on experience. Your results with juniper indoors is going to vary...

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I am a little nervous about bringing in the junipers and putting it under the lights.

You don't need to bring a juniper in for the winter. In your area, it will do fine outside. Rock makes a good point: Jack's been doing this a long, long time. His experience proves it can be done, but that doesn't mean it's necessary.

And Joedes, I believe the moss does grow OK in his basement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom