Industrial Aluminum Wire

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone have any experience in using aluminum wire that is not specifically designated for Bonsai. For larger wire sizes (5 & 6mm) it costs me around $25 a 1lbs and it sure doesn't go far. I found a supplier that sells industrial wire for $3.50 a 1lbs. It's specified as "1100 O Temper, .187 Dia / 5 Gauge Aluminum wire." I believe that O Temper means that it's easily bendable.

Does anyone have any experience using alternative aluminum wires? Or have an idea what typical Bonsai wires temper rating is?

Last edited:

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use the shiny industrial wire a lot in all the diameters I can get it. My supplier only has it up to .125" It seems to work as well as the more expensive coated bonsai wire. I do not mind the color as it is easier to see and notice if it needs removing or rewired.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use the shiny industrial wire a lot in all the diameters I can get it. My supplier only has it up to .125" It seems to work as well as the more expensive coated bonsai wire. I do not mind the color as it is easier to see and notice if it needs removing or rewired.
Thank you sir!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hobby stores over here have a super wide range of alu wire gauges and sell the wire at 1/4th the price of bonsai stores.

john blanch

Yamadori
Reaction score
I've used the wire that encases armoured cables, some kind of non rusting silver coloured wire.
My thoughts, if it doesn't harm the trees' and gives good hold and I can get plenty of it, I'll use it.
It may not be as good as anodised aluminium, but it matches a high percentage of it's usefulness. And being free as scrap, I can rewire till I get the effect I'm wanting.

Top Bottom