Interesting display...need rearranging?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bill, I was told by a very reliable source that displays like this are common in Kokufu. I was also told that I can see photo's like this in their albums. I have three, including no.80, a double issue. I have never seen displays set up with both trees flowing the same direction anchored by a tiny accent.

I am hoping with your knowledge and first hand experiences in Japan, you can help me better understand this display.

Attachments

• DSC_00200001.JPG
    DSC_00200001.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 13

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fair enough, but when I saw you taking the bamboo sticks, then joining displays, ...then selecting a subset of those displays, ...I thought anything was fair game. My bad.

Touche....but! These displays were side by side. If you read this thread and the other thread it makes sense. I combined these two displays since each display, though side by side, moved in opposite directions. This is what made me question the authority of who allowed each of these displays beside each other, yet try to explain it away. Why not just make two correct displays and leave nothing to question:D

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the Japanese black pine display. The only change I would make is to center the accessory on the flat irregular slab of wood. I could be pickier, but that would make me more comfortable.
Bill

Bill would you be willing to give your interpretation on how trees move? For instance the pines trunk accends from the soil to the right but yet the canopy has a distinct feeling of moving to the left.

Once again when looked at as in the thumbnail the visual balance seems to move to the left.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Smoke,

Just because someone has seen this type of display before in Japan at the Kokufu Bonsai Exhibition or other shows does NOT mean that it is good, nor need to be copied! There are pleasing and some not so pleasing displays in Japan, and elsewhere too.

Although "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" certain design elements are basic and need to be considered. Personality and taste is very important and please remember that you cannot buy taste. You can, however, hire someone who has taste to display your bonsai. And, that is how it is done in many Japanese exhibitions. The owners hire or have "handlers" who arrange and display their trees. Of course, they charge the owner for the arrangement, table rental, container rental, accessory, mossing and all which goes into the display, including pick up and delivery and even preparing the owners bonsai for years before the actual exhibition. This is big business in Japan.

The beauty of each individual display is most important and is dependant on many things among the numerous include: eye movement, heights of individual bonsai and tables, accessories, species, season, theme and where in the exhibition the display is placed.

Bill

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke,

Just because someone has seen this type of display before in Japan at the Kokufu Bonsai Exhibition or other shows does NOT mean that it is good, nor need to be copied! There are pleasing and some not so pleasing displays in Japan, and elsewhere too.

Although "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" certain design elements are basic and need to be considered. Personality and taste is very important and please remember that you cannot buy taste. You can, however, hire someone who has taste to display your bonsai. And, that is how it is done in many Japanese exhibitions. The owners hire or have "handlers" who arrange and display their trees. Of course, they charge the owner for the arrangement, table rental, container rental, accessory, mossing and all which goes into the display, including pick up and delivery and even preparing the owners bonsai for years before the actual exhibition. This is big business in Japan.

The beauty of each individual display is most important and is dependant on many things among the numerous include: eye movement, heights of individual bonsai and tables, accessories, species, season, theme and where in the exhibition the display is placed.

Bill

Thanks Bill, your preachin to the choir....

Sincerely, Al Keppler

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I like them reversed...

Attachments

• DSC_00450026a.JPG
    DSC_00450026a.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 28

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe like this

Attachments

• pine.jpg
    pine.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 30

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very peculiar display.

My first impression is that the little elm (looking ferocious) is chasing the large juniper. The large juniper is running for cover,... and at some point, it is going to duck behind the potato.

Very dynamic, to say the least. The chase is happening from left to right, and inevitably, the participants will all pursue each-other out of the picture. Not the outcome you expect from a bonsai display, but on the bright side, chases are always entertaining. Hence their frequent use in movies.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just for giggles......did any of you try hanging upside down and looking at it? It's quite striking this way. ;-D

Attachments

• WNV-2.jpg
    WNV-2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 19

John Kirby

Seedling
Reaction score
Interesting discussion, Al and I discussed this and several other displays. I always enjoy my chance to walk the show with Al, it is always informative and fun.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting discussion, Al and I discussed this and several other displays. I always enjoy my chance to walk the show with Al, it is always informative and fun.

Thanks for making the effort here at nut. I really do appreciate that. I had a blast. In fact my wife had a blast, and thats sayin something. Especially my 1/2 hour conversation with Morten. Once my wife was armed with interpretation from the both of us, I spent the next hour explaining why certain things were done.

I am writing a large article on keido display which with better examples of trees might further illustrate my frustrtations with this artform.

There are people in this art that carry weight, clout, expertise whatever you wish to call it. When all of those carrying the weight disagree about something as complex as display, then who is correct and how do you learn? It seems that something than can be judged should be universal in it's rules, though subjectivity plays such an important part in deciding the outcome.

Thanks again, Al

Top Bottom