Interior Live Oak, Quercus wislizenii, first styling

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I collected this oak from my property on Easter Sunday 2010. I planted it directly into the training pot you see and it grew well. I got tired of defoliating trees yesterday so I decided to wire this one up.

Here's the before photo...

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

And here it is after about three hours work...

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

Hope you like it. I'm not sure about the two lowest branches....

Paul

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree, but I've never seen oak looking like that before. It looks more like some kind of holly. Then again, I'm from New York, and the oaks here are very tall deciduous trees with leaves that look completely different. I'm guessing that's a California Shrub Oak? Is it an evergreen?

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
We have three tree - form live oaks in California. The Coast Live Oak, Canyon Live Oak and the Interior Live oak. All have these holly - like leaves. There are also a couple of scrub oak species that have similar leaf forms. Of all of these, the coast is probable the best bonsai material.

Reaction score
paul, I think you did a really nice job, not sure about the bottom two branches either, if nothing else I might at least lose the one on the right, the bottom left might still work into the design... like it!!!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Here is the tree today after thinning spring growth to two leaves per shoot.

Attachments

• 6-16-14 002.jpg
    6-16-14 002.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 103

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
could you quickly describe the collection? Time of year, amount of roots, after care etc?
thanks! great looking tree!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
could you quickly describe the collection? Time of year, amount of roots, after care etc?
thanks! great looking tree!

Collected it in April 2010 on my property. It was about 20 feet tall and I chopped it to the two main trunks at about the present height. as it was just a stump it had no leaves and all the branches were regrown from buds. The tap root and all large anchor roots were removed at collection with only a few feeder roots saved. After collection it was kept in humidified partial shade until new buds popped which they did in profusion, then moved to morning sun and filtered afternoon sun where it remains. As I said I potted it in the current pot at collection. It hasn't been re-potted since collection but will be next spring.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the change of front with the deadwood feature. Nice looking tree, coming along well.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. Very nice.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great looking oak, with a very nice progression. It's got such a good heavy feel.

Top Bottom