International Bonsai magazine; book 2006 vol.1

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've had one (toyo) in the ground for 4 or 5 years. It is doing well but slow to put on trunk size (I am trying to develop a single trunk form), likes to throw suckers from the root system. They (the suckers) are very vigorous so I remove them
regularly. I can see why people let these develop into clump styles!
I can see how it's frustrating on that thick trunk. But your time will pay off and ones will be in awe of it being unusual. Mine, I am not after a singer trunk with mine. I hope to go this route...so suckers will be hoped for I reckon. But these don't develop as easy as Chojubai. So I am reading and was told.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here is my material.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The first photo you posted, the cascade tree with twisted trunk is NOT Flowering quince, its a Twisted Trunk Pomegranate.
TOYO 2.JPG

I've only seen ONE single trunk Japanese Flowering Quince bonsai in Japan, they are quiet rare.

TOYO 2.JPGUntitled-1.JPG
Here is a multiple trunk Toyo Nishiki Japanese Flowering Quince, but looks like a single trunk.

Attachments

• TOYO 1.JPG
    TOYO 1.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 10

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Mr @William N. Valavanis for clearing that up. It's a stunning specimen in its own right. The single trunk quince is jaw dropping! Thank you for sharing that as well! Those Toyo nishiki blooms are beautiful. Would have never guessed that other was a multi trunk tree. It so well done!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The ‘Toyo Nishiki’ cultivar of Japanese flowering quince often have branches with red flowers grafted in to the trunks. It’s easy to get pink and white flowers but not red.
Thanks, yes...Martin @thumblessprimate1 mentioned that. He feels I'm ready to take on that task. Because it's one I've not really considered. The ideal of red blooms in the mix...I might have to watch some YouTube videos on the technique and ponder it. I worry about botching it up and making the tree look ugly. But...guess, I need to decide on a front and maybe hide the first attempts toward the back.

Your also touching on that aspect...pushes me to really attempt it Mr. Valavanis. I've read on accounts others stating you mentioned grafting the onto the Toyo Nishiki to get the red flowers sooner. Going to have to pull up my big girl panties and get to at least attempt it.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry wrong cultivar

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
? What are you talking about ?
I added a piece of California History from an article I wrote for Golden Statements back in 2012. After I posted it I found that it was talking about Ume and not quince. It was called "Matsubara red", after it's propagator Koto Matsubara.

After I took out the text I could't post it blank so had to put something. I should have written "JUST DO IT".

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I added a piece of California History from an article I wrote for Golden Statements back in 2012. After I posted it I found that it was talking about Ume and not quince. It was called "Matsubara red", after it's propagator Koto Matsubara.

After I took out the text I could't post it blank so had to put something. I should have written "JUST DO IT".
Ahhh okay that makes more sense then. Thanks for attempting to add more to the general topic.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh my word! I am so enjoying these two books I got!!! The one has tons of information on repotting and training quince. ? and his colored book of Past Present Future!!! PROGRESSION PHOTOS ARE SO COOL! Heading down to the bus stop with some good reading material. Thanks so much @William N. Valavanis for all you do for the bonsai community at large. I know this is just a crumb of your works,

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a copy of Fine Bonsai, too. I had Bill sign my copy at the Silohette Show. THAT made it worth $500!!!

The photos are great, mostly. There are some that could be better. The photographer had a unique style... he would study the subject and adjust the lighting, then take one photo. That’s it. One photo. Most photographers would take several with different lighting arrangement, f-stops, depth of field, etc. Not this guy. One photo. So, there are a couple photos that might have benefitted from a retake. The descriptions of the trees and their history is first class.

I really do like the idea of the history shared about the trees. My husband told me today to order the book! For of all things...a Valentine's Day gift. (We don't do the calendar holiday. Which in point I stated that.) He's intrigued by the man who shown interest in his weeping ryusen I think as well. So when one views the book...he might add the man had inquired of his own tree. So book that sort of brings value to the honor of such an inquiry. Possibly might be what provoked the gift. I may...be reading into it. But...plan on making a purchase. As a book lover...leaning toward the leather bound one. But as you and both Mr @William N. Valavanis mention history of the tree makes it that more appealing! Curious if one makes a purchase of the leather bound if it's signed?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
As sold, my book is not signed. My Classical Bonsai Art book, now out of print, is now being sold for $250. Autographed copies are $500! Perhaps that means my autograph is worth $250?

I'm not dead....yet!

I'd be happy to autograph Fine Bonsai, or any other of my nine books for FREE! Just bring me a copy and I'll gladly sign it and personalize it to you. Recently, people have been requesting my signature only, not being personalized for resale purposes.....SIGNING.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As sold, my book is not signed. My Classical Bonsai Art book, now out of print, is now being sold for $250. Autographed copies are $500! Perhaps that means my autograph is worth $250?

I'm not dead....yet!

I'd be happy to autograph Fine Bonsai, or any other of my nine books for FREE! Just bring me a copy and I'll gladly sign it and personalize it to you. Recently, people have been requesting my signature only, not being personalized for resale purposes.....View attachment 227309
I doubt our paths would cross. But appreciate your kind gesture in offering. The actual personalized one would be more up my alley. Since I am a sentimental softy. Will remember that if I ever get your way to make sure I bring it with me. I had really no idea that a signature brings that much value to a book. But for what you have done for the Bonsai community at large...it doesn't surprise me. I may...just print your inquiry of my husband's maple over from the other thread...and stick in the book. For sentiment value of such an honor of inquiry. I was quite impressed and humbled...of your asking of it.

Also...enjoyed the older copy of the magazine you have...and subscribed. As well have shared your book of past,present,and future book. The photos of progression was a pleasure to see.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I'm not dead....yet!

I'd be happy to autograph Fine Bonsai, or any other of my nine books for FREE! Just bring me a copy and I'll gladly sign it and personalize it to you. Recently, people have been requesting my signature only, not being personalized for resale purposes.....View attachment 227309
Bill, you’re at Kokofu, the center of the Bonsai Universe, and you’re posting on BonsaiNut??!

Geez!!! You ARE a Bonsai Nut!!!

Safe travels, Bill! I’ll see you in June in Kannapolis. And I will be bringing my copy of Classical Bonsai for your signature.

@Cadillactaste, you really ought to get out to see a major show like the Nationals or the Shohin Nationals. Not only will you get to see the trees, you will get to meet many of the people you’ve met over the Internet these past few years.

Totally worth it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bill, you’re at Kokofu, the center of the Bonsai Universe, and you’re posting on BonsaiNut??!

Safe travels, Bill! I’ll see you in June in Kannapolis. And I will be bringing my copy of Classical Bonsai for your signature.

@Cadillactaste, you really ought to get out to see a major show like the Nationals or the Shohin Nationals. Not only will you get to see the trees, you will get to meet many of the people you’ve met over the Internet these past few years.

Totally worth it.
You are so right! I need to look into doing such a show...at least one time in my life. Wow, man...I feel bad for tagging Mr.Valavanis with his being so busy. ? But goes to show you how dedicated to bonsai he is...that he would find time to reply to such a thread...such a busy man!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Totally worth it.
I was really hoping to catch Bill at Taikanten
You are so right! I need to look into doing such a show...at least one time in my life. Wow, man...I feel bad for tagging Mr.Valavanis with his being so busy. ? But goes to show you how dedicated to bonsai he is...that he would find time to reply to such a thread...such a busy man!
I hope to catch him. I missed him in Kyoto. ?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If anyone is interested...just noticed there is a copy of "Fine Bonsai" up for auction on the 99cent bonsai auction site on facebook. Current price is $30! Auction ends tonight at 9 pm eastern.

Top Bottom