Intgeresting Japanese Red Pine

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Some more photos from Japanese web sites. This one is for an "Akamatsu" pine, aka Pinus densiflora, aka Japanese Red Pine. Red pines are much less frequently seen versus black or white pines, so I thought this would be an interesting tree to discuss. Love the trunk, the foilage needs to be tightened up. For sale - $390.

53056-1.jpg

53056-2.jpg

53056-3.jpg

53056-4.jpg

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Now that is what I am talking about. Nice. I suppose I am the only sucker that would drop $390 on it?

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm probably just revealing my lack of experience, but to me it looks as if some detailed wiring would improve the secondary branches. Am I off-base?

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mr. Graydon you're not the only one. My noob eye is pretty unrefined but I enjoy the look of the densiflora very much.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm probably just revealing my lack of experience, but to me it looks as if some detailed wiring would improve the secondary branches. Am I off-base?

No, Barry, you are spot on. Before thinning this tree, I would want to wire every shoot. Following that, a good feeding regimen with candling should help with the legginess of the tertiary branches.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice tree. I love seing these " in progress " trees with discussions , especially when they are of this quality. With more experience and if I lived whete it would be happy I think the price is a good one , especially when compared to some on the web.

JJR

Seedling
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I have a thing with red pines so I have to comment....

Love the old, flaky bark. With a new pot, some wiring, fertilizer, and a few years of candling this looks to be a really nice tree.

Top Bottom