Is it too late to Air Layer a Trident with bad roots?

BONSAI GARAGE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have a Trident that was fully leafed out and healthy. One day I noticed the leaves looked a little strange. Some were dented looking? Not sure if it was from a cold snap we had or maybe some fert was too strong. I pulled it out of the pot and all the roots were in bad shape. I scraped the bark on the lower trunk and it was a mix of brown and green cambium. I felt my only choice was to try an air layer at the point the Cambium was still bright green. Any thoughts on this?
thanks

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can only successfully airlayer a tree that has VERY HEALTHY roots. Airlayering is unfortunately not a method to save the tree, I think. Asccording to my experience it is probably almost dead already, only living off the sap at the moment. The only thing you can do is to keep it moist in the substrate and in the crown. Spray it every day. And don't put too much hope on it. It sounds like a late frost could have hit the new fine roots. The best is to do more or less nothing and wait.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Save it first layer it later.

BONSAI GARAGE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks for the replies. I'm afraid I was too late to even try and save it. I couldnt find one healthy root.

Top Bottom