Is Spring Finally In The Air?

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think so judging by the way this nire elm is looking with it's small profusion of new buds. This one always loses it leaves every year giving me a nice looking winter group to enjoy.:)

This group really needs a nice slab, which in my opinion is what every bonsai group needs.

Attachments

• P1016916 (2).jpg
    P1016916 (2).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one also usually loses all its leaves, but not long enough to enjoy because it bounces right back with a new flush of leaves around the end of Jan.:(

Attachments

• P1016921 (2).jpg
    P1016921 (2).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 67

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one hardly ever loses it leaves giving me a bare specimen. It loses them in combination with the new ones that are coming in so it always looks full. The last time it did lose its leaves, I really enjoyed the look.

Time now to keep an eye out for the dreaded black leaf fungus that attacks new leaves on ch. elms if they get too much water on them. At least for the next few months until the leaves finally harden off.:D

Attachments

• P1016926 (2).jpg
    P1016926 (2).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 57

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As for this little guy, the repotting was done in mid Jan. and all we're waiting for now is the new candles to start popping up. :cool:

Attachments

• P1016941 (2).jpg
    P1016941 (2).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 60

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi Thomas, I use a product called INFUSE by Bonide. It is a systemic antifungal. I use it on all my chinese elms to prevent black spot.

DaveV.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
They are looking good John T......
In full mode down here as well.....
Irene

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
I really like the shape of that semi-cascade. Very charming tree! Did you shape it yourself? If so, do you have a rough outline of how long it took you to get to this point?

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
noissee,

Here's a few pics showing the development. The tree was purchased in 1996 as a typical little ch elm with very little tendency toward a semi cascade tree. The second pic shows the tree around 2001 or 2002 after I decided to let the main lower branch grow out and thicken up to start the cascade process. The last pic was taken around 2005 when I was using the other side for the main viewing side. I decided to change that around 2007 to the present side. Thanks for asking.;)

Attachments

• aaatree.jpg
    aaatree.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 20
  • cas elm7-11#1.jpg
    cas elm7-11#1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 21
  • cascadeapr.JPG
    cascadeapr.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 22

Thomas J.

Chumono