is this a chojubai? (thinking about buying it)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I still do not see a 300 dollar tree, perhaps offer 100 without the pot? Something just seems off with the price on that...

Grimmy

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How many chojubai are there in Chile?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How much did the other one sell for? And how nice is it?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It hasn't been sold... and it is in the ground getting "larger"

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Max,

Here's my take on this... you might not agree.

First of all, I have no idea how many bonsai there are in Chile, or how many people do bonsai, so it's impossible for me to know how many other people would want a chojubai. They're popular here in the USA.

Now, you state you know of 2. Only one is available. At any price. I'm sure there's probably more, but let's agree they're rare. They're rare here in the USA.

Now, I'm thinking that if you bought this tree, put it in the ground, or upsided the container, you could probably get it grow enough shoots to take 10 cuttings over the next summer.

Assuming that there are some others who do bonsai in Chile, you could probably sell those 10 cuttings for $30 each. Voila! Free chojubai!

Even if you don't do this, and just keep and enjoy the thing, the fact that someone was willing to even sell such a rare plant to you - at ANY price - was pretty nice.

I think your Bozo waving picture is pretty insulting. If I were the seller, and I saw that, I'd never offer you anything ever again. It's one thing to politely decline, another to be insulting.

By the way, I bought one recently, and I paid more than that.

And, you complain that stock is hard to come by in Chile...

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think your Bozo waving picture is pretty insulting. If I were the seller, and I saw that, I'd never offer you anything ever again. It's one thing to politely decline, another to be insulting.

seriously? pretty insulting? come on...
Your other comments are spot on, supply and demand at its finest, but for 300 I was just saying good bye.

Think whatever you want to think... I can assure to you that the seller would just laugh at the clown. When he told me the price he warned me: "sit down", "tighten your seatbelt" and stuff like that.

No need to read between the lines.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok,

There may some cultural differences on how to view the clown.

I guess it all comes down to how much you want a chojubai!

The Buyer is the one who determines the actual price. A seller can ask anything he wants, but until there is a buyer willing to pay, no "value" has been determined.

Can you bargain with this seller? Make an offer? Or, are there other trees this seller has that you could buy, but only if he comes down on the chojubai? Take it without the pot?

Or... Just suck it up and buy the only chojubai available in Chile!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ok,

There may some cultural differences on how to view the clown.

I guess it all comes down to how much you want a chojubai!

The Buyer is the one who determines the actual price. A seller can ask anything he wants, but until there is a buyer willing to pay, no "value" has been determined.

Can you bargain with this seller? Make an offer? Or, are there other trees this seller has that you could buy, but only if he comes down on the chojubai? Take it without the pot?

Or... Just suck it up and buy the only chojubai available in Chile!
I do want a chojubai, but not at 300 dollares, I can get a way nicer flowering quince for that price. And I think that is what I will do.

Thanks for all the comments

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I paid $12 for a well rooted second year cutting of Chojubai - and this was in April of 2014, from a well known nursery that sells pre-bonsai stock. (I think he sold out in less than 2 weeks)

A cutting is young and without much character. The tree in your photo has some character. I don't mind paying extra if the 'character' of a tree appeals to me. It is also reasonable to pay more for older material. Ordinary nursery stock often costs $5 to $10 per year the nursery has been growing it on, and of course if it has gained in character, the seller can easily ask more.

Chojubai are around, even in Chile. You will likely run into another one, eventually.

I also am a big fan of "The Other" flowering quinces. Chojubai is not the only one that is good for bonsai. Look for "Hime" or "Kan Toyo" for dwarf types. Their leaves are small, as small as Chojubai and they ramify well. 'Hime' has orange flowers, Kan Toyo has white, pink or white and pink flowers much like a dwarf version of "Toyo Nishiki".

The larger growing quinces make great specimen bonsai, Iwai Nishiki-double red, Toyo Nishiki-multi-colored, and others are great.

You may be able to find nice, older specimens of the 'out of fashion' cultivars for much more reasonable prices.

Chojubai is popular for good reason, but it is not the "only" bonsai worthy flowering quince. There are many good quince cultivars out there.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
Can they be imported? When we come down there in dec. i'm planning on bringing you some stuff. We may be needing your services, maybe we can work out a trade, some trees for some pictures? Pm me a list of trees you want but cannot be found down there but can legally be imported and I'll see what I can do.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Please do not do it!!!
20.000 USD fines!

thanks a lot for trying, maybe we can figure something out by post, but if you bring it in your suitcase, you will get a full cavity search... or probably just a fine... but a big one

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
my teacher is hooking me up with a chojubai cutting... she is very close to the guy who has them.

:)

Top Bottom