Is this needle cast and should I wait till Spring to prune?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I saw some needle cast there.
But the brown stuff, I dont think its the sun, I live here in Delano and in the summer its normal for us to get 100-110 degrees and non of my pines have those.
If I'm going to guess, if you are watering correctly it should be root issue.

I have a post before regarding how I cure the needlecast of pines that I bought.

But like what I said, I believe this brown stuff are the one you should focus on.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Do you by any chance have a heater on that patio?
After scrolling through the pictures for some time, I'm noticing that it's mostly one side of the plants that's been affected. Most of them face the wall of your home.
Fresh paint fumes maybe? A patio heater?
Nope but i have applied the 1st
round of Phyton27 this year.
The 1st photo the entire canopy is affected and most otherwise green needles to a lesser degree.
Good observation though.
Thanks for trying :)

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I saw some needle cast there.
But the brown stuff, I dont think its the sun, I live here in Delano and in the summer its normal for us to get 100-110 degrees and non of my pines have those.
If I'm going to guess, if you are watering correctly it should be root issue.

I have a post before regarding how I cure the needlecast of pines that I bought.

But like what I said, I believe this brown stuff are the one you should focus on.
Thanks for the link.
I treat for needlecast in the Spring per Adairs thread on it.
Edit, I really think this is due to my neighbors watering while I was on vacation.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Be aware copper, daconyl in substrate kills michorrizae. Suspicion exists of much excess poisons on tree doing more harm than good. If tree dies this will likely be the cause😕.

Just cover the soil when you spray and it won't get into the soil.

The fact that it's effecting multiple species kinda makes me think its environmental.

I've never seen fungal attacks on so many different species at once.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Be aware copper, daconyl in substrate kills michorrizae. Suspicion exists of much excess poisons on tree doing more harm than good. If tree dies this will likely be the cause😕.
What about folks who use anti fungal granules added to the soil such as Bonide Infuse?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What about folks who use anti fungal granules added to the soil such as Bonide Infuse?

This is a very good point.
Adair is one person that uses infuse on his pines in the spring and they dont seem to have any issues with it.
He has showed us pictures of his trees root mass, filled with mycorrhizae.
Could be his are immune to it

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a very good point.
Adair is one person that uses infuse on his pines in the spring and they dont seem to have any issues with it.
He has showed us pictures of his trees root mass, filled with mycorrhizae.
Could be his are immune to it
So this point that @Potawatomi13 brings up, is concerning me all the more now.
Supposed to rain tonight, so I started to get the granules, and I said wait a minute...
what if I did, might this double down on, and exacerbate the issue at hand?
I would love to get @Adair M s thoughts on this. It is to a lesser degree affecting my WPs
including the one in my avatar.
I'm super skeptical that the issue at hand is from any foul play including animals
because my junipers all seem to be doing ok. I have one juniper in ground that is fighting
tip blight I believe, so all my junipers got Mancozeb earlier in the year.
It all started with losing 2 JWP seedlings, and the upper half of another I got from Julian Adams.
His remaining one, the growth rate is so slow, and the soil composition so retentive that it
hardly ever needs watering. I'm guessing it will die too.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So this point that @Potawatomi13 brings up, is concerning me all the more now.
Supposed to rain tonight, so I started to get the granules, and I said wait a minute...
what if I did, might this double down on, and exacerbate the issue at hand?
I would love to get @Adair M s thoughts on this. It is to a lesser degree affecting my WPs
including the one in my avatar.
I'm super skeptical that the issue at hand is from any foul play including animals
because my junipers all seem to be doing ok. I have one juniper in ground that is fighting
tip blight I believe, so all my junipers got Mancozeb earlier in the year.
It all started with losing 2 JWP seedlings, and the upper half of another I got from Julian Adams.
His remaining one, the growth rate is so slow, and the soil composition so retentive that it
hardly ever needs watering. I'm guessing it will die too.

I am very sorry that I cant be more helpful and definitive on this.
I know having all these trees showing this must be weighing on you
Yes it would be nice to get @Adair M to take a look and give his opinion on this as well.
Also @Brian Van Fleet

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
he best thing I can recommend is to take it to your local agricultural extension office or the nearest university
I got in touch with the local extension office and the agent came by my house.
He sounded put out that they were bonsai trees, which I had told him they were
and had lowered them off the railing so the wind wouldn't blow them off, as a heads up.
In talking to him on the phone, I'm not convinced he even got out of the car
as he said he didn't come prepared to take photos...(what, no cell phone?) and they didn't look right from the road.
He was supposed to come back the next day to take pictures,
but I have only received a link to the Pittsburg conservatory by email.

As I stated
I have more faith in treating ASAP than I have in our extension agents based on past dealings.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Japonicus, did these recover in the during?
Please check out this post. I’ve been thinking about starting a thread “Nay sayers welcome”.
Post in thread 'EWP gets a new pot today'
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/ewp-gets-a-new-pot-today.49460/post-1032016
I will continue to answer your question, but I would truly like to get your opinion on what
you think the odds are this tree would live after you see it collapsing right in front of me
based on the picture in this post 31.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So it's pushing me growth? That's a good sign. Maybe it was underwatering and now it's recovering. How are the other trees doing?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So it's pushing me growth? That's a good sign. Maybe it was underwatering and now it's recovering. How are the other trees doing?
I do my best to not over or under water my trees. This particular tree has been in a pot for maybe 15 years. All of my conifers got hit with something last year, and needle cast is the main diagnosis, even though i properly treated in the Spring. All juniper not affected.
20230514_112157.jpg20230514_112130.jpg20230514_112653.jpg20230514_112332.jpg
As pictured, mugo, banshosho JBP, mugo, Noble fir and another mugo. That should give an idea of the wide range of species involved. These are current todays pics. Also involved were JWP (to a lessrr degree) and EWP and pinus Nigra..There are others. I am leaving most infected needles, as most all needles are affected to some degree. Hopefully a 3 year plan will leave mostly, unaffected needles...

bonsai-max

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi, to me looks Tracheomycosis, did you make some cuts on the plants without cleaning the tool in the middle ?
Put them far from each other, try the Fosetil alluminium to help the plants 1gr Lt. ( that's don't kill the Mycorrhiza). If you use anti fungal remember to cover the soil with a towel or the Mycorrhiza will die.
But you need something strong IMHO

Top Bottom