Jade Help

victorC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi everyone. I am new to this wonderful forum and a bonsai novice as well.
I live in subtropical South Florida. Last month one of my elderly neighbor who had been ill for over a year passed away and her son, knowing I have a green thumb, offered me a few of the plants from her yard. One plant was a small jade full of weeds knocked over near the house drain. I re-potted it and trimmed some of the rot and dead then took opposite branches leaving the ones in best condition. The plant has since sprouted new leaves and I am thinking I am ready to work on it some more but I am lost as to where to proceed from here. I have never worked with jade bonsai so shaping it is somewhat foreign to me. I might even be barking up the wrong jade plant for a bonsai and can handle it if this is not even a good bonsai candidate.
Here are front, top and back photos. Any advise would be most appreciated. Thank you. -Vic

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 54
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 45
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 54

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Nice port. I would start by researching succulent care. I hope the dead material you found wasn't actually rotten, if there is ANY active rot on this plant it will continue to rot until the entire plant dies. Dried up branches and roots are fine but wet, gooey, black rot it not and will need to be cut out.

I would continue to let it grow and continue to learn from the plant. They're not difficult but it's nice to learn how they grow and respond to stimuli. If rot is actually a concern you need to repot again immediately and cut it all out. If not I would repot it again this summer in a more (or completely) inorganic mix. When growing out portulicaria afra it is usually best to use terracotta pots. They are low fired clay and will "breathe" allowing the soil to dry out faster. This is hugely beneficial for all succulents especially when you are just learning how to care for them. Make sure to let the soil dry out before watering again. Watering wet soil will kill these.

Good luck!

skrit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I also have a Jade at home and I agree with Jester, an inorganic or nearly inorganic soil will be better than the current soil. Being down in South Florida, you may not need to worry as much about the pot, I think a switch of soil is more important. I don't know if repotting again right away is really a great idea though, as it could cause too much stress on the plant. Perhaps next season.

Jades, like all succulents, store water in their tissues. It's a good idea to let your jade dry out almost completely between waterings. In fact, as I understand it, occasionally letting the plant go a few days completely dry isn't necessarily a bad thing; it encourages root growth as the plant seeks out new sources of moisture. Don't let it go too long though. If you start noticing the leaves are thinning or aren't as firm as normal that's ok, but you should probably water the plant. If the leaves are wrinkling, you've gone too long and should water immediately.

Any dry periods put stress on the plant, so be sure to give it a break and return to a 'regular' watering schedule (a.k.a. whenever it's very nearly dry). Similarly, repotting or significant pruning also put stress on the tree, and that's not a great time to try encouraging root growth with this method, wait a couple months before stressing it again.

By the way, it you don't have much previous experience, it's notable that the top of the soil drys out far sooner than the interior of the pot, When I say dry, I mean dig down a 1/2-1 inch and check there. Don't use the soil surface as a watering guide.

Finally, from the looks of the plant and the lack of leaves, I'd say that this one is still 'on the road to recovery' and you probably shouldn't do much with it in terms of further pruning. A repotting and pruning have put a lot of stress on the tree and more could send it over the brink. Remember, bonsai is a patient hobby. Many suggest only 'insulting' a tree one or two times a year. This one has a nice trunk and some potential, although the branches are pretty long in most places and will probably need to be corrected. I'd suggest taking care of the plant through the winter and coming spring, and reading / learning more in the mean time. Then maybe consider repotting (with no root trimming) / restyling in the summer.

I'm relatively new to this hobby and learning too, so others may be more experienced and offer alternate advice. Please don't take mine as set in stone!

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
You can repot these multiple times in one season. Remember that cuttings as big as your leg will root. Repotting frequently isn't ideal but if anything can handle it these can.

You will need to tiptoe around wattering with the current soil. The benefit of inorganic soil is that it dries out significantly quicker meaning you can water more frequently with less risk and get more growth. Either way watering needs to match the soil medium.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jades are amazingly resilient. They can make do with lots or little water. They can take heat or cold (as long as it doesn't freeze) They can even withstand an open flame easily.... Don't do to much to it. Plant it in a very open soil is important. My Jades grow best when I drill extra holes in the bottom of the pot, and bury the pot in the ground about 3 inches deep. Best way to get new growth is to not fuss about it. Almost "forget" about it.... ;)

Last edited:

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As long it gets plenty of sun, and you water it properly, this plant should show major improvement within a year or two.

Over-watering is usually the biggest killer for jades. Others have suggested an inorganic mix, but I've also gotten very good results by mixing succulent soil 50/50 with good, well-draining bonsai soil.

Soak it thoroughly to water, and then wait until it's dry before watering again. This is on of the few things that one can bonsai that really does benefit from being on the drier side.

I'd let it fill in again before even considering any more pruning. Jades grow fairly slowly, so it could be a few seasons before it really starts to fill in.

Mostly just ignore it and you'll be fine. ;-)

victorC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you.

Thank you everyone for so much great advice. I am happy no one recommended tossing it from the bonsai table. LOL I shouldn't have used the word rot instead of dried out. As far as I can tell there is no rot but a lot of dried up branches and crossing over, even wrapping branches. I will follow the advise given and change the soil in the spring as I was afraid to really mess with the root ball and tried to leave a significant amount of the soil intact when I transplanted it since it has been so stressed by neglect. I am looking forward to seeing what might become of it in a few years.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got one from a friend. It has been in the same pot for 10 yrs. Planted in garden soil. Stood outside in the NZ rain (lots of it) It was basically sogged wet permanently. When I replanted it, it had no rot......:cool:

Top Bottom