Japanese and Chinese Quinces - Thorns?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Karin, I've heard it before, brought me to Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudocydonia... and Karin is how it's called in Japan.

And the confusion has no end, (as quoted from wikipedia):
"Not to be confused with Chaenomeles speciosa, Chinese flowering quince, which, like P. sinensis, is sometimes called mugua.
Pseudocydonia sinensis, the Chinese quince, ... ... is closely related to the east Asian genus Chaenomeles, and is sometimes placed in Chaenomeles as C. sinensis..."

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Having had both Japanese...and Chinese quince...seeing first hand leaf pattern. I just don't see a Chinese variety there. The bloom is off...the leaf in clusters. But the bloom is stunning!
Thanks, @Cadillactaste, @Brian Van Fleet @theone420 , this is my guess also.
Most probably mine is a young Japanese Quince with red flowers, and was wrongly mislabeled as Chines Quince (Karin).

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Japanese Quince on the left, Chinese Quince on the right.
134FFFA8-B40A-4A2F-966C-B5D6216609D2.jpeg 0F4DCEAD-F609-4154-A19D-C1AB38FA52B4.jpeg DD75DB05-A125-4303-BEF9-8578DA713984.jpeg
This Japanese Quince is a Chojubai, so it is super small. Yours appears more like a Toyo Nishiki, or one of the larger-scale chaenomeles. Some reading material:

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/carpinus.htm
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/quince.htm

Japanese Quince are easier to grow, train, and keep healthy than Chinese Quince, from my experience.

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
While we’re here, @Clicio, have you done anything interesting with these plants?
Quince are some of my favorite plants in the garden! I have chojubai, toyo nishiki, and Texas scarlet. Both your plants look like different types of Toyo to me.
You do such beautiful work I’m curious to see how you treat them. Maybe you already have another thread you could link?
I love how easy they are to propagate, so far only cuttings no root cuttings, they are extremely vigorous, and of course the abundance of flowers throughout the seasons. 🥰

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
While we’re here, @Clicio, have you done anything interesting with these plants?
Quince are some of my favorite plants in the garden! I have chojubai, toyo nishiki, and Texas scarlet. Both your plants look like different types of Toyo to me.
You do such beautiful work I’m curious to see how you treat them. Maybe you already have another thread you could link?
I love how easy they are to propagate, so far only cuttings no root cuttings, they are extremely vigorous, and of course the abundance of flowers throughout the seasons. 🥰
Yeap, after 5 years I have learned one or two things about them.
They like water.
They don't like the Brazilian summers.
I still love them!

IMG-20220930-WA0036.jpg

Hermes33

Yamadori
Reaction score
nearly 5 year old thread ?
Any updated pics after 5 years?? I was replying to the aggression in an initial post not the post itself but I guess that is normal here lol. I just got a quince so was browsing for information. I'll post mine in 5 years here lol.

Attachments

• Quince Pre Styling.jpg
    Quince Pre Styling.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Dual Trunk styled Quince.jpg
    Dual Trunk styled Quince.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 28

Leprous Garden

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Charnoneles is one of the most beautiful plants I have seen. That red, not quite cherry, slightly pink but still clearly red, that is my favorite color for them. Incredible shrubs when grown up.

Top Bottom