Japanese copper watering cans

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm having a hard time finding the classic 4 liter copper watering can, made in Japan. Most online stores have stopped carrying them. Amazon has a 6 liter model, but it doesn't have the easy-to-dip flat top, and it ships from Japan and is very expensive. Does anyone have a source for the 4 liter model?

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I'll second the Haws Can. Yeah it's plastic, but mine is holding up well and puts out a a good soft coverage flow. More reasonably priced too.

JLBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Haws here too, don't waste your money on a copper one....both do the same thing. Save money and buy another tree!!

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the replies. I do have the plastic Haws. Guess I'll see how easily it refills in a cistern before I try to buy the Japanese can.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the replies. I do have the plastic Haws. Guess I'll see how easily it refills in a cistern before I try to buy the Japanese can.

Haws makes a wide variety of sizes and shapes. I have a Galvanized and a plastic. I like the metal but depending on how much you haul it around any metal can is far heavier. I also noticed with Galvanized and Copper cans if you mix up Fertilizer with Micro-Nutrients it eats away at it if you don't rinse it real good after use.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Haws makes a wide variety of sizes and shapes. I have a Galvanized and a plastic. I like the metal but depending on how much you haul it around any metal can is far heavier. I also noticed with Galvanized and Copper cans if you mix up Fertilizer with Micro-Nutrients it eats away at it if you don't rinse it real good after use.

Grimmy
I'm actually considering a larger plastic Haws one. For my trees on the bench on the side deck. When my side flowers are in...I don't want to lug it up the hose around the flowers and up the side steps. Though I water all landscape by hose.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a drug commercial out right now.
You know, the ones that list all the side effects....yeah you could die, blah blah...

Well, those bother the shit out of me..

What's worse...
There is a lady who has a watering can with the holes going down....
That bothers me even more.

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not all that impressed with the Haw's plastic cans, (I have a couple)......but $350 for a watering can!?!?
I use an ECHO spray tank (2) from Home Depot.....
0f42b43a-3901-466b-a3a3-c94537d04579_400.jpg

fbc797fd-c45e-4b0f-b4a7-83f21e3cc474_400.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
but $350 for a watering can!?!?

Haws direct sells nothing over 160.00USD, Slim Lines under a 100.00USD and very good plastics for under 60.00USD - your distributor is kicking your ass if you see 350.00USD on any Haws - Serious...

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't think them Brits were sooooooo stiff_!

Sorce

Bonsaiguy_2012

Seedling
Reaction score
I don't keep any in stock but can get them feather quickly if you are really interested in a copper can I get them from either Kaneshin or Kikuwa. You can go on either website to see if they have what you want and send me an email to bfcschultz I can talk off line for pricing.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't keep any in stock but can get them feather quickly if you are really interested in a copper can I get them from either Kaneshin or Kikuwa. You can go on either website to see if they have what you want and send me an email to bfcschultz I can talk off line for pricing.

Thanks, but it looks like they've been priced out of the market. The Kaneshin website lists them for about ¥26,000, or about $225. Manhattan Bonsai lists them for $110, but it is out of stock - must be a very old listing. I always thought of them as a luxury, but after using one at a course recently, I have to say it is nice to be able to fill the can in about one second by dunking it in a water pot. And, while my large plastic Haws can gives a pretty gentle shower, it can't compare to the fine shower that these Japanese cans produce.

Top Bottom