Japanese Flowering Quince cuttings in training.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One in #187
1.png 3.png 4.png 5.png

The reason I keep showing this air-layering is that it is not easy to propagate theToyo nishiki "Nichi-Getsu-Sei" if one really wants to get full characteristics of the specimen. I believe air layering is only way to get the good one for bonsai. This type of quince has a very unique way to produce the flower patterns. If the branch A produces the red flowers, it will be just red flower for the rest of its life. If the branch B produces white flowers, it will only white. If the branch C produces white with red stripe flowers, it will only that pattern; etc.
To create one for bonsai, it takes at least 2 years to get one.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is another interesting fact to which I found.
The color of stamens will be almost the same as the color of petals in the same position.

Red petal in the white - red stripe has pink stamens (yellow arrows). I think white + red = pink
White petal has white stamens
8.png 13.png

Red petal dominant to white has red stamens
10.png

White petals - white stamens
11.png

Equal white- red stripes petals. Stamens color is confused! :oops:
12.png
Bonhe

Attachments

• 9.png
    9.png
    275.6 KB · Views: 47

D805

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One in #187
View attachment 134436 View attachment 134437 View attachment 134438 View attachment 134439

The reason I keep showing this air-layering is that it is not easy to propagate theToyo nishiki "Nichi-Getsu-Sei" if one really wants to get full characteristics of the specimen. I believe air layering is only way to get the good one for bonsai. This type of quince has a very unique way to produce the flower patterns. If the branch A produces the red flowers, it will be just red flower for the rest of its life. If the branch B produces white flowers, it will only white. If the branch C produces white with red stripe flowers, it will only that pattern; etc.
To create one for bonsai, it takes at least 2 years to get one.
Bonhe
Great info to know. I just picked up one of these. I think I will try the air layering when the weather warms up.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great info to know. I just picked up one of these. I think I will try the air layering when the weather warms up.
I think it is not a good idea to do air layering right in the Spring. You need to let the branch you want to perform get more stronger to be succeeded.
Bonhe

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Your flowers are very beautiful. I've never seen any quince in any nursery in my area. I guess I would need to find one online somewhere. Not sure I have the experience to care for one, but I really enjoy seeing yours.

D805

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think it is not a good idea to do air layering right in the Spring. You need to let the branch you want to perform get more stronger to be succeeded.
Bonhe
By perform do you do you mean make sure all the different color variations are on the branch that I want to air layer? Thanks

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
By perform do you do you mean make sure all the different color variations are on the branch that I want to air layer? Thanks
It means you have to go through 2 steps:
1- Choose the one you want to air layering and mark it with string or whatever you can find to know where you should do later on. (when the leaves comes out and the flowers are gone, it will be hard to find where the place is)
2- Let that branch grow freely. It is very important because we want to get that branch healthy enough to sustain the procedure. When that branch has full growth, that means it will give us a lot of auxin hormone to form the new roots in the air layering site. I never use artificial auxin in the air layering or cutting (except if the cutting is too big and I don't want to take a risk for that cutting, then I will soak the cutting into water mixed with auxin). It is why I stated that I would not do air layering right in the beginning of spring. It should be done in the summer until the early fall (in my area).
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One more note for flowering quince:
The red flowers are much stronger and dominant comparing to other colors.
I chose areas for air layering this year.
The below tree was the 1st air layer one from her mom 3 years ago. As you can see, the lowest branch just shows the red flowers at this time. Last year, it had pink with white stripe.
Last year
1 - Copy.png

This morning
1.png

I probably do at least 3 air layering for this tree this year.
In the lowest branch (B) and lower trunk (A)
2.png

The lower trunk is not good for bonsai!
3.png

The upper branch will have another air layering. I can see semi cascade bonsai right here!
5.png

Bonhe

mrt1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Beautiful quince there. ;)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice - where can you get this variety?

D805

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It means you have to go through 2 steps:
1- Choose the one you want to air layering and mark it with string or whatever you can find to know where you should do later on. (when the leaves comes out and the flowers are gone, it will be hard to find where the place is)
2- Let that branch grow freely. It is very important because we want to get that branch healthy enough to sustain the procedure. When that branch has full growth, that means it will give us a lot of auxin hormone to form the new roots in the air layering site. I never use artificial auxin in the air layering or cutting (except if the cutting is too big and I don't want to take a risk for that cutting, then I will soak the cutting into water mixed with auxin). It is why I stated that I would not do air layering right in the beginning of spring. It should be done in the summer until the early fall (in my area).
Bonhe
Thank you very much for the explanation. I'll give this a shot when the time is right. Thanks again.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice - where can you get this variety?
San Gabriel should have it! They had it in the past but they are downsizing now, so I don't know if they still have it.

Thank you very much for the explanation. I'll give this a shot when the time is right. Thanks again.
You are very welcome. Have a good luck.
Bonhe

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unfortunately the nursery won't ship. Ugh :(

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one has been stayed in this pot for 2 years.
The color of flower is changing with time.
On 3/15/17
3.png

Today
2.png 3.png 1.png
Bonhe

Top Bottom