Japanese Flowering Quince cuttings in training.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I forgot to ask you about this sign.
It is on few of the quinces. Is it fungal infection or else? Thanks

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png

p/s: I know the answer, but just want to show whoever wants to learn about the plant's diseases.

Bonhe

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have that on some of mine, I always thought it was sunburn but curious if it's something else.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It is on few of the quinces. Is it fungal infection or else? Thanks

View attachment 112293 View attachment 112294 View attachment 112295 View attachment 112296

p/s: I know the answer, but just want to show whoever wants to learn about the plant's diseases.

Bonhe
I'd like to know your answer :D
I've had something similar happen on one of my quince. A day of not getting enough water.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd like to know your answer :D

Funny this showed up shortly after we spoke about it briefly in your post o_O

At least two of us have discussed this a few days ago. Since then I have thought over the situation and what caused it and have treated for Fungal. The reason "I think" it happened is I had it in Full Sun all day and the weather was VERY hot here when the leafs started to brown. "Thinking" it was leaf scorch I misted heavily daily to cool off the plant as I often do with trees and junipers during the intense heat. I "think" quince in general do not like that much total water and "probably" don't like foliar watering which combined caused the fungal problem. I am by no means an expert on quince and still learning them so that is just my observation. I also noticed after close inspection yesterday the branches that have leafs affected are a bit on the grey side, like a smooth film.

Grimmy

Last edited:

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is one of my quince. Looks similar. I don't think there's fungus on mine.
20160801_162247-1.jpg
20160801_162231-1.jpg

It needed to be repotted, but never got around to it. I don't think the soil retains much water. It could use more soil too.

I came home to see it wilted one day. The leaves were to the point where it had two different shades of green. I moved it into the shade and keep watered well. Leaves perked back up same day. It recovered but has the brown on the leaves.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It recovered but has the brown on the leaves.

After you and I spoke briefly on it I took an extra look. First thing I noticed is the foliage on these does not pull off easily but the browning leafs do... I just assumed after what I did it is fungal, took off all of the affected leafs and treated. Honest it looks good now overall but I will know after several days. I might add once treated the old bark/wood lost the light grey coating it appeared to have. Again, no expert, just observing what I did and how it is responding.

Grimmy

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You left us, well at least a few of us "hanging". I myself would greatly appreciate your thoughts and experience ;)

Grimmy
Oh, I am so sorry. I rarely come into the forum on weekdays!
I appreciate all of discussion.
It is not a fungal disease. If it was fungal infection, the sign would be on the whole leaf (not just at the distal aspect of the leaf)
It is a sign of dehydration due to not only burning at the tip of the roots (the plant is in the small pot), but also the salt deposit on the leaf surface (due to the overhead water - there is a lot of mineral particles in the hard water).
Will it cause any health problem for the plant? I don' t think so.
Bonhe

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bonhe, I have seen this MANY times on my quince. It happens when the roots get too dry and are subsequently watered. If you are in a hot dry climate, which I think you are, it's better to give 50% shade over summer.
That will help with this although they still require a daily drench if not twice daily. What also helps is dunking them in a bucket of water with a few ml of a good wetting agent. Sometimes if the root ball dries out, you can think it is getting wet when you water but in fact the centre remains hydrophobic - bone dry. This can happen especially if you have some organic content in your p/mix.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Mike.
Those quince shown here have been placed in the shady place with overhead misting system 3 times a day, but the dry hot air is still the issue. Some quince are left in the full sun have no problem at all. Those are in the big training pots.
Bonhe

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I saw my Ch. japonica with similar leaves some two years ago... What happened?

They are a little bit weird. Kept at well lit posn receiving direct sunlight only two hours a day... When exposed to direct hot sun, young leaves and branches not hardened yet wilt... I used to water immediately. But once I forgot it and coming back in few hours eth was OK. I can see it every day when it's hot. Wilting on the direct sun and fully extending without any visible impact when the sun goes behind the building. I've got few species that act similar...Robinia and Potentila for example.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tittle of this topic is not suitable any more! The reason I stated so is that I primarily did air layering on quince!
I air layered on 5 places 8 days ago. http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/my-year-around-bonsai-work-in-the-inland-empire-ca.22225/page-13
I have to give them water daily. It means the air layered parts are needing a lot of water. Some questions:
1. Is it a good sign?
2. If it is good sign, how does it work? (hah, I already answer the 1st question!)

They are showing some swollen buds in the lower part (arrow)
2.png 4.png 5.png

What do I expect here? Flowering buds? or leaf buds?
Bonhe

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm guessing those are leaf buds. My usual flower buds don't appear until about February.
Edt: That or I'm just not sure what I see yet :D

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm guessing those are leaf buds. My usual flower buds don't appear until about February.
Edt: That or I'm just not sure what I see yet :D
You may be right. However, I got flower buds from other air layer quince at this time last year. Let see what happen this year. It they are flower buds, my hypothesis will be confirmed. ;)
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some of quinces are in training.
2.png 3.png 4.png

This one has long branchs
5.png

Will prune it back in few months
6.png
Bonhe