Japanese Honeysuckle question, do they backbud on old wood

nagatay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have a small one. However, it needs to be cut back long branches. Thanks for any help.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes it will back-bud everywhere, including if you cut it flush with the ground. They are invasive plants here in North Carolina, and I have a difficult time killing them even using Roundup. That's not to say they don't have advantages - they grew in Southern California without needing irrigation - but they are extremely hardy and quite resilient if they are growing where you don't want them to grow.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Agreed. Cut as hard as you like and it will bud all over. In fact, cut even further than you initially think because trees nearly always grow up and bigger after pruning so you really need to cut well below the anticipated size and shape and let it grow back to the final size.

nagatay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes it will back-bud everywhere, including if you cut it flush with the ground. They are invasive plants here in North Carolina, and I have a difficult time killing them even using Roundup. That's not to say they don't have advantages - they grew in Southern California without needing irrigation - but they are extremely hardy and quite resilient if they are growing where you don't want them to grow.
Thanks, it is small trunk size 1 1/2 inches clump. Purchase @ Wal-Mart. Orange flowers. I am in zone 9 florida. Plant is currently still in Nursery pot. I don't think it can be transferred now to a smaller pre-bonsai pot.(root work). Thanks again.

Top Bottom