Japanese Pagoda and Blue Japanese Wisteria Vine Question

MBatcho1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hello All,

First off, I would like to say Hi to everyone! I'm new to the forum and have been practicing Bonsai for roughly 4 months. This is all new to me so I'm a sponge...feel free to unload any info you can :).

I do have a question though.

I bought Japanese Pagoda and Blue Japanese Wisteria Vine seeds and they are growing nicely.

They are about 3 months old and I was wondering if someone could give me some general info/care advice for them.

When they were first growing they started off real nice and now since its so hot they started to wilt so I brought them in my sun porch to help rebuild their root system and fragile leaf's.

I repotted them and now they are all on their own.

Does anyone have any info on what to do with them in the winter?

Should I fertilize or keep in the sun or what?

Sorry for the general questions I'm just curious so they'll survive.

Thanks again and good to have such great information at hand!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
First, welcome to the nut house! Update your User CP with your general location so the guidance is more geographically appropriate.
Now, on to the wisteria...
1. Keep it outside.
2. Likely, barring fungus, they wilted because the soil was too dry at some point. If healthy, they will continue to grow tendrils and leaves.
3. Wisteria require a lot of water, you can grow them with their pots standing in a basin of water throughout the summer.
4. If you're going for flowers, go collect one, they can easily take 10 years before they start to flower, and then, some brutal techniques are necessary to induce flowering as bonsai. More on that another time...
5. Yes, you can fertilize them, once the wilting has gone away.
6. They tolerate a range of sun exposure...full sun to mostly shade, really depends on how often you can water, but more sun is better.
7. Wintering, this depends on your location. If they grow in your area, keep them sheltered, but outside. If not, an unheated garage or the like.

Best of luck.
BVF

MBatcho1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks Brian, I really appreciate it. I will update the personal info tonight. I'm going to put them in a water basin and watch em grow.

I know they will take forever but I have a ton of other plants (I think their Bonsai material but who knows haha). I'm going to post some of my trees to see what everyone thinks.

Top Bottom