Japanese Snow Bell & Chinese Fringe Trees

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi group,

last fall I picked up some good material at a local nursery close out. (cheap)

Nice fat trunks, nebari. etc. A lot of their stuff had been neglected so was/is rootbound.:D

The trees mentioned above were in quite large pots which they are still in.
Others I put directly in the garden for winter. A few I left in the smaller pots there were in and buried the pots in the garden for the winter so they wouldn't freeze while I was away.

I got a few European Beech, Olive, Japanese Larch, Magnolia, etc. I picked out unusual trunks of good size which I will need to chop this year.

I haven't found much info on the Japanese Snowbell and Chinese Fringe Tree, will they backbud readily?

I miss all my trees and looking forward to getting home and getting to work on them.
Have been away since early December.:p

Also where I am for another week (northern Calif) there are a lot of manzanita which have beautiful trunk and branch. Anyone successful in collecting these? They seem to root easily when the branches are laying on the ground and covered with leaves. There are quite a few that have been cut back as they are trying to rid the pasture/hillside of them. I have collected several, they came up easily as the ground is very wet right now.
Question, will they backbud? on the larger ones the leaves and flowers are mostly toward the ends of the branches like Madrone.

the one pic I attached is an Acer..
thanks
Rose Mary
from SW Oregon

Attachments

• acer.jpg
    acer.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 53

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Japanese snowbell & Chinese Fringe Tree pics, I hope

rats, can only finally get them reduced enough for 1 post at a time

sorry

Attachments

• Chinese fringe tree 1.jpg
    Chinese fringe tree 1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 54

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Japanese snowbell

one of the Japanese snowbell trees

thank you
rose

Attachments

• Japenese snowbell3.jpg
    Japenese snowbell3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 53

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Manzanita Collection

You can find some information and links on manzanita in this thread, starting at about post #53.

Will

thank you, a good link. Some incredible ones here, will try to post an exceptional example of one I found on a walk. Too large to collect but an awesome tree to see...

lots of them in bloom now, mostly larger ones.

still hoping someone will respond about Japanese Snowbells and Chinese Fringe...

thanks
Rose

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Will
thanks for the links

Both of the Japanese Snowballs I picked had very large trunks...I just was unsure about the backbudding. The article shows they do....yes!!.....wish I had gotten a couple more (they were only $17 dollars in LARGE pots). They have a nice interesting reddish hue on the bark with nice nebari....

I picked up several of the chinese fringe, they were even less. Still trying to research them but haven't found them referenced in bonsai application yet.

regards
rose

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have tried on numerous occassions to collect mature Manzanita... and failed every time. I know people have done it, so good luck.

Top Bottom