JAPANESE SNOWBELL

Mr. Watanabe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This Japanese snowbell (Styrax japonica) was purchased last year from Bill Valavanis. Actually it was owned by Joe Noga and Bill brokered the sale. I bought the tree for several reasons, not least is their relative rarity in the US at least as bonsai. In addition, the tree offered great movement, scarless trunk and a wonderful 360 root spread. I also saw a future little shohin up top!

This is the tree shortly after it was received.

View attachment 413239

And this is what I saw. Twin trunk shohin up top and red line indicating where I intended to cut it back to.

View attachment 413241

The tree now one year later with the front changed and drastically shortened. As a result the tree is now much more compact and its taper improved. The tree had been repotted in spring of 2021 using a larger pot to allow for faster development.

View attachment 413242

Good movement and a scarless trunk. The nebari is also quite nice all around which is one of the hallmarks of the Japanese snowbell.

View attachment 413243

Two side branches were brought up with the help of a guy wire to start building the upper portions of the tree.

View attachment 413244

Last but not least is the twin trunk shohin that resulted from air layering the original apex. The air layer was made in the month of May 2021 and separated three months later in August.

View attachment 413245

View attachment 413246

Potted after it was separated in August and will be left to grow next year before transplanting it into a bonsai container probably in 2023.

View attachment 413247

Love the wire work - cutting the side of the tubing and twisting through the hole... so meticulous!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was wondering what your experience was with leafing out on these? I haven't seen any indication of buds popping yet, everything is still nice and green under the bark when I did a quick spot check this week.

I purchased a field grown one this past winter and it hasn't leafed out yet here in the Cleveland area. It came to me this winter hard pruned and minimal roots, which I knew about, the seller gave me a heads up and a discount due to the state of the roots. I kept it sheltered and damp in my unheated garage this winter. I was expecting some movement by now out of it.

Be patient. As long as it's still green you are good. They like lots of water and do not tolerate dry conditions very well. Be aware that they often drop secondary and tertiary branches often during winter. They back bud with no problem even from old wood.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love flowering bonsai. This will be on my list.

They are really beautiful particularly in flower. I would like to increase the caliper on mine a bit more but keep it relatively small. As you can imagine the can be quite expensive as bonsai.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
They are really beautiful particularly in flower. I would like to increase the caliper on mine a bit more but keep it relatively small. As you can imagine the can be quite expensive as bonsai.
I understand the value of the work put in by a very skilled artist. My work is more like hacks but I am learning and improving.

Gran_Puma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Be patient. As long as it's still green you are good. They like lots of water and do not tolerate dry conditions very well. Be aware that they often drop secondary and tertiary branches often during winter. They back bud with no problem even from old wood.
Thanks for the confirmation to be patient and I should see buds. Ah, so another that likes to drop secondary and tertiary branches like Celtis occidentalis over the winter, thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom