Japanese Stewartia worth it?

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Best bet, one might hit the area, once cleaned off, with alcohol to dry and kill the remaining cells, then wait a day and start again.

Good luck!

Cheers
DSD sends
I’m going to leave the area uncovered. Then, next growing season, take advantage of the swelling and give it another go.
If the top doesn’t make it, no biggie. It has to go one way or the other.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m going to leave the area uncovered. Then, next growing season, take advantage of the swelling and give it another go.
If the top doesn’t make it, no biggie. It has to go one way or the other.
I think you will most likely kill the top if you leave it that long. The tree will try to root in the next 3 months or so from the reserve that it still has. After that it will die.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think you will most likely kill the top if you leave it that long. The tree will try to root in the next 3 months or so from the reserve that it still has. After that it will die.
Even though new tissue has formed across the girdle? I thought that meant the flow is restored?
Despite the failed layer the trees top produced vigorous growth and is currently healthy. No foliage was lost and it appears ready to flower again.

Last edited:

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Even though new tissue has formed across the girdle? I thought that meant the flow is restored?
Despite the failed layer the trees top produced vigorous growth and is currently healthy. No foliage was lost and it appears ready to flower again.
No issue if the girdle already bridged.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Autumn and senescence is a huge root growth period, so maybe taking advantage of that is worth it? I know a lot of species can take more than one season to air layer. Would it be worthwhile to reapply the layer now and wrap it up tightly over the winter, then separate it at repotting time?

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Autumn and senescence is a huge root growth period, so maybe taking advantage of that is worth it? I know a lot of species can take more than one season to air layer. Would it be worthwhile to reapply the layer now and wrap it up tightly over the winter, then separate it at repotting time?
Fair point. I’m not sure how much time is left to fuel the new root growth. Does it stop once leaves drop?
This species seems to heal very fast but if layered now I think it may take until summer to achieve full radial spread.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Correct … late spring at the earliest depending on the weather in your neck of the woods

However one can air layer the tree now and insulated it up with bubble wrap etc and check it off your spring work list

Around here anything we can do now serves u us items that will be on an already extensive late winter work list

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom