JBP to cut or not to cut.....

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
That is the question...

Just thought I would see what everyone else thought about this one....
Not a special tree, but one that needed to be restyled. My thought is to cut the bottome right branches off. There are 2 of them there, for sure the front one needs to go and possibly the back as well.
Here are some photos with them there and then painted off.

What would you do??

The rest of the story and before and after pics of the restyling can be seen on my BLOG in a few...

Picture 1 is after styling
Picture 2 is removing both branches making the smallest tree possible.
Picture 3 is removing the closest branch and leaving the other. I will do this step first to ensure getting rid of both is the right thing. This can be shortend up a bit as well.

Thanks, Jason

Attachments

• 136_3624.JPG
    136_3624.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 136_3624edit.JPG
    136_3624edit.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 136_36261.JPG
    136_36261.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

anttal63

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
hey jason i would go the other way, pull the movement to the right and turn into semi cascade.

but i gotta tell ya after the trees you have posted here, im not sure this one deserves your attention.:)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jason,
I honestly can't say without a couple more photos. Can we see it from the right side?

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
virtuals

Jason,

the best I could come up with based on the current pictures.

-dorothy

Attachments

• 136_3624 copy1.jpg
    136_3624 copy1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 136_3624 copy3.jpg
    136_3624 copy3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 77

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Jason,

the best I could come up with based on the current pictures.

-dorothy

Hi Dorothy,

You do a good job on the virts!! What you did is doable once I get some growth on the left side of the canopy. Nice work, thanks for taking the time to do it!

Thanks, Jason

Tiberious

Yamadori
Reaction score
Dorothy's left virt is pleasing. I definately would not remove the lower branches tho, they add alot more dimension to the tree.

Mooseman

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is the question...

Just thought I would see what everyone else thought about this one....
Not a special tree, but one that needed to be restyled. My thought is to cut the bottome right branches off. There are 2 of them there, for sure the front one needs to go and possibly the back as well.
Here are some photos with them there and then painted off.

What would you do??

The rest of the story and before and after pics of the restyling can be seen on my BLOG in a few...

Picture 1 is after styling
Picture 2 is removing both branches making the smallest tree possible.
Picture 3 is removing the closest branch and leaving the other. I will do this step first to ensure getting rid of both is the right thing. This can be shortend up a bit as well.

Thanks, Jason

I prefer pic 3 but it might be improved by better separation between the middle pad and the top one. Is that feasible? guess it depends on where it comes off the trunk, which is not clear from the pics.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jason, that black pine would make a good landscape specimen in your backyard. Don't waste your time with trying to make it into a bonsai.
Seriously..

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Dorothy's left virt is pleasing. I definately would not remove the lower branches tho, they add alot more dimension to the tree.

Sorry, but I chpped them off!! See my blog. I removed them becasue in person it was too much, very bulky didn't work with the skinny trunk. It is an uglier tree now but will be better for it in the long run.

I prefer pic 3 but it might be improved by better separation between the middle pad and the top one. Is that feasible? guess it depends on where it comes off the trunk, which is not clear from the pics.

Yes, better seperation if doable. I will probably take another look and tweak things a bit.

Jason, that black pine would make a good landscape specimen in your backyard. Don't waste your time with trying to make it into a bonsai.
Seriously..

Thanks Attila!! THis little tree is only 12 or 14 inches tall, so it is rather small for landscape. I will probably offer this tree for sale or trade in the future.... I know what you are saying though, I have better trees to tend to than this one. But it was fun to do something drastic to it and completly restyle it.

Thanks for the comments!
Jason

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Attila!! THis little tree is only 12 or 14 inches tall, so it is rather small for landscape. I will probably offer this tree for sale or trade in the future.... I know what you are saying though, I have better trees to tend to than this one.

I wouldn't have said what I said if it wasn't you, and knowing what other trees you can work on. But when I compare this uninteresting tree with others that you've shown so far, I would rather see you spending your time on the "other" ones and leave this one for someone with limited access to good material.
Having a young child, time is always at a premium.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I wouldn't have said what I said if it wasn't you, and knowing what other trees you can work on. But when I compare this uninteresting tree with others that you've shown so far, I would rather see you spending your time on the "other" ones and leave this one for someone with limited access to good material.

It's refreshing to see this type of honesty and critique here. I know Attila meant this in a good way and Jason understands where he is coming from. Good job.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score

Thanks Attila, I know what you mean and I do appreciate it! Yes, time is at a premium now with the little one and I am starting to get the hang of typing with one finger while I hold the her in the other arm..... haha, It is hunt and peck all over again, haha

It's refreshing to see this type of honesty and critique here. I know Attila meant this in a good way and Jason understands where he is coming from. Good job.

Yes, it is nice, and lookey here no arguing back and forth! :D :)

Top Bottom