Jin liquid substitute ?

Jan JC

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi everyone!

I'm planning on doing a Jin on some of my bonsais, so I'll have to buy Jin liquid.
The problem is that I won't use so much, maybe I just need to apply a few brush strokes to my bonsai , and Jin liquid is sold in very large quantities. Furthermore, I've only found it online, so I'd have to pay for the huge amount of liquid I won't use + transport .........€€££$$
That's why I'm asking you if there is any other liquid than I can apply to my bonsai which works 'more or less' as Jin Liquid does ( hydrochloric acid? sulfuric acid? Lemon juice? )
I don't look for professional quality.
Thanks (and sorry if this question is stupid...)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When you talk about $$$, how much are you fearing? Here in the states we can buy 500ml for $12.

Do a search for "sulfurated lime". Anything that is close to 100% (like sulfurated lime that is used for vet purposes) will work fine. Just make sure you use it at 20% strength (or less).

Jan JC

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Well, here about 500 ml of Jin liquid can be worth around 10 € , plus 10 € of transport is already 20 € (25 $ USD ~)
I know it's not that expensive, but I just want to turn a single branch into a jin (and $ 25 for a branch ... Otherwise, if I don't find anything similar I'll just end up buying Jin liquid 😐)

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Just buy it. You’ll have to re-paint the jins regularly anyway, and the bottle will last for years.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a 250ml bottle and close to 150 sticks in pots. My bottle has been with me for 4 years now. It's not even half way empty. Maybe close to a quarter.

Strong acids will turn your wood black, and it'll eat away the wood.

Jan JC

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I see that it is much better to use the original Jin liquid than any other product ...
I will take another look at nearby bonsai stores or nurseries, hopefully i will find a small bottle which better suits me.
(Who knows, maybe I end being a Jin master😅😐)
Thanks to everyone!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You can make it. Tons of tutorials online...
It reeks like hell... not like Surströmming but still your house will have a terrible smell while cooking it

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazon

Or a vet somewhere.

Cheaper in the bonsai world though.
interesting. On amazon.de this does not come up. But indeed. From price, it is not worth the hassle of getting a gallon

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
interesting. On amazon.de this does not come up. But indeed. From price, it is not worth the hassle of getting a gallon
I figure the bottle I have will last many years.
The reason I decided to use it is because all the other stuff is pre-diluted.....so you're paying for water.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I figure the bottle I have will last many years.
I thought that too but some crystals have precipitated out of all my bottles after a few years. Not sure whether that makes it ineffective but the stuff is cheap so I have bought a new batch every 5 years or so.
It can also be used as a winter pest and fungal dip in winter, spray for fruit trees and roses (dilute to specs) so lime sulphur has many uses for gardeners and bonsai growers.

Top Bottom