JM Kiyohime

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Basically yes.

I’ve seen the procedure done with 1-2 wraps. Either variation can create a swelling above the immediate rooted area vs a normal ground/air layer.

btw Plan to put the wires about 2 cm below where you want the roots to form.

cheers
DSD sends
Cheers for the info, really helpful!

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Finally got round to doing this... My first layering effort so 🤞🏻

Attachments

• 20210522_171655.jpg
    20210522_171655.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210522_173430.jpg
    20210522_173430.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210522_173434.jpg
    20210522_173434.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210522_173441.jpg
    20210522_173441.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210522_174801.jpg
    20210522_174801.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210522_174809.jpg
    20210522_174809.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210522_174826.jpg
    20210522_174826.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 41

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi C.,

I would have made the removed part twice as wide, and are you sure you've scraped the trunk enough to remove all the cambium ? I think to optimize the chances, the ring of bark removed should be at least as wide as the width of the trunk/branch. But it can work ! ;) It's just that next time, if you want to air-layer a maple you should be more "generous" I think.

The rest looks perfect.

OK, I think it's still time :
1/ cut the root(s) like according to the red line
2/ remove more bark, lower. And I think that I can still see some green (cambium?) so I would use a sharp knife to cut in one or two millimetres.

CM.jpg

AK

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Hi C.,

I would have made the removed part twice as wide, and are you sure you've scraped the trunk enough to remove all the cambium ? I think to optimize the chances, the ring of bark removed should be at least as wide as the width of the trunk/branch. But it can work ! ;) It's just that next time, if you want to air-layer a maple you should be more "generous" I think.

The rest looks perfect.

OK, I think it's still time :
1/ cut the root(s) like according to the red line
2/ remove more bark, lower. And I think that I can still see some green (cambium?) so I would use a sharp knife to cut in one or two millimetres.

View attachment 376534

AK
Thanks very much for this - really helpful 👍🏻

Yeah that root was why I didn't make the cut wider, and looking again yeah I think I missed some green - definitely over cautious I'm guessing... Your two bottom pointers, you'd do them now?? Or next time? Can't tell from the 'I think it's still time' comment 😂

Thanks again!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Apparently, you did it not so long ago, 1 or two days ago, and you tree looks healthy and well taken care of so I (I) would start again, removing the pot and the soil and do it again. As I said, the "rest" is perfect to me.

That's what I would do. Maybe others across the pond will have a different opinion, it's 6 PM here (5 PM in Britain I think), and most of the members here are in America and usually post a bit later : it's always prefferable to have different opinions and make your own from what different people say.

But yes, I would do it again now.

:cool:

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Apparently, you did it not so long ago, 1 or two days ago, and you tree looks healthy and well taken care of so I (I) would start again, removing the pot and the soil and do it again. As I said, the "rest" is perfect to me.

That's what I would do. Maybe others across the pond will have a different opinion, it's 6 PM here (5 PM in Britain I think), and most of the members here are in America and usually post a bit later : it's always prefferable to have different opinions and make your own from what different people say.

But yes, I would do it again now.

:cool:
Back to the old drawing board 😂 I won't get chance to do today, might be pushing tomorrow too, work is manic at the moment...

I'll have a think and see if any fellow UK people chip in.

Appreciate the thoughts!

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There’s still time for sure to widen the cut.

If it was an air layer, I would of made the cut wider absolutely for sure. I haven't had the need to do ground layers at this point, yet the principle is the exactly the same.

Since most layers are pretty forgiving towards the tree itself, it could be an interesting experiment to see if this cut would work. If it doesn't work, you would merely have to go back in two months and widen the cut and re-scrape.

....waiting would also be pushing the curve for getting the roots set up by fall though.... in that case you would winter over the layer, losing a chunk of time to resettle the tree.

cheers
DSD sends

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
There’s still time for sure to widen the cut.

If it was an air layer, I would of made the cut wider absolutely for sure. I haven't had the need to do ground layers at this point, yet the principle is the exactly the same.

Since most layers are pretty forgiving towards the tree itself, it could be an interesting experiment to see if this cut would work. If it doesn't work, you would merely have to go back in two months and widen the cut and re-scrape.

....waiting would also be pushing the curve for getting the roots set up by fall though.... in that case you would winter over the layer, losing a chunk of time to resettle the tree.

cheers
DSD sends
Thanks a lot for this! Sorry - not sure what you mean by 'winter over the layer'?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That means that the entire ground layer setup would have to remain in one piece over the winter. … then be separated when the roots are long enough next spring.

It’s certainly possible to do. I wintered over a Coral bark maple air layer that actually will be separated tomorrow morning when I have everything ready.

As you can see, the downside is the additional time and the extra care needed to keep the roots protected over the winter.

Cheers
DSD sends

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
That means that the entire ground layer setup would have to remain in one piece over the winter. … then be separated when the roots are long enough next spring.

It’s certainly possible to do. I wintered over a Coral bark maple air layer that actually will be separated tomorrow morning when I have everything ready.

As you can see, the downside is the additional time and the extra care needed to keep the roots protected over the winter.

Cheers
DSD sends
Thought that's what you meant, makes sense 👍🏻

I'll have a think this evening. If I get time, I'll probably just redo tomorrow as Alain suggested. May well not get time though!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That means that the entire ground layer setup would have to remain in one piece over the winter. …

He's right, Clorgan, but when done properly most maples air-layers can take only 2-3 months to take. Of course it depends on the cultivar, but basically, when done in May, you can severe it in late july to early September...

Why don't more people post here ? Because you're a woman ? Because you're English ? Because you damn Brexiters got zero points in the "Eurovision" contest ? Hath not an English woman a heart - or enough skills to make an air-layer ? 😄 😄 😄

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
He's right, Clorgan, but when done properly most maples air-layers can take only 2-3 months to take. Of course it depends on the cultivar, but basically, when done in May, you can severe it in late july to early September...

Why don't more people post here ? Because you're a woman ? Because you're English ? Because you damn Brexiters got zero points in the "Eurovision" contest ? Hath not an English woman a heart - or enough skills to make an air-layer ? 😄 😄 😄
Hmmmm so theoretically it'd be an OK option to leave for now, check in 2-3 months and do again then if it hasn't taken, and still have time to seperate before winter?

I'm probably just being lazy, but to be fair I do have a very busy week ahead 😂 Plus I am kind of intruiged to see if it does actually work...

A woman AND English, I really have got it all against me 😉 Yes I suspect the rest of the UK population are hermiting out of Eurovision shame! Did feel for the poor guy 😂

I can't think of any female UK Nut members actually... Do they exist?! There must be some...

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ha Ha!

Likely everyone is just heading a nice laid back Sunday.

Seriously @Clorgan, a couple days won’t matter in the scheme of things. But a couple months would likely push you into next year, depending on the cultivar. I have a couple Kiyo Himes and they are a bit slow for me.

Cheers
DSD sends

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Ha Ha!

Likely everyone is just heading a nice laid back Sunday.

Seriously @Clorgan, a couple days won’t matter in the scheme of things. But a couple months would likely push you into next year, depending on the cultivar. I have a couple Kiyo Himes and they are a bit slow for me.

Cheers
DSD sends
Yeah apparently some people actually go out and do things/see people at weekends?! The concept baffles me 🤷‍♀️😉

Cheers again for the help, great to hear other people's experiences and wisdom

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Separate thread for this one. Sorry I've posted it already, but within another thread.

So, new to me Kiyohime. Planning how to get round the blooming awkward roots, and branches. Had some ideas from @AlainK already - either a big chop job or air layer to make a multi trunk.

I had a little doodle - maybe something along these lines? Of course there's the large area on the right of no roots which isn't ideal at all... Would root grafting be appropriate? I know very little about it as of yet.

Any other input appreciated 😊
Personally I hate Kiyohime, least favorite JM dwarf variety. Although they have one really cool feature about them is that they tend to want grow horizontally, so I would keep that in mind when brainstorming design choices. If i were in your shoes and this were mine I would do a root over rock or statue like penelope

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Personally I hate Kiyohime, least favorite JM dwarf variety. Although they have one really cool feature about them is that they tend to want grow horizontally, so I would keep that in mind when brainstorming design choices. If i were in your shoes and this were mine I would do a root over rock or statue like penelope
Cheers for the input, out of interest, what is it you don't like about them?

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cheers for the input, out of interest, what is it you don't like about them?
I don't like broom style which they are really used for, I am not a fan of the leaves or the colors of the leaf in spring vs other hime varieties

Top Bottom