Jumped the gun...and can't delete. Will post new thread when I have a better photo of tree.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that the glazed pots are much more exciting. That first pot photo you posted, the glazed deep green color, is my favorite. I think it supported the tree but let the tree shine the most. It has a nice delicate touch. Some of the unglazed look....heavy....like anchors.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think that the glazed pots are much more exciting. That first pot photo you posted, the glazed deep green color, is my favorite. I think it supported the tree but let the tree shine the most. It has a nice delicate touch. Some of the unglazed look....heavy....like anchors.
I believe your meaning the Erin Pottery pot. Yes, all their pots are lovely. Can't go wrong with one of theirs. But...do see their reasoning for less busy of a glaze. I'm really leaning toward that last green one. It's a quality pot...heavy...and the coloring reminds me of the shallow dark green pot in the photo I shared earlier with the Satsuki Azalea that is the same cultivar as my own. So dark as Brian mentioned...I do get. It was stunning...That this is the exact measurements needed as well. I'm thinking I'm done looking...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have to let the seller know by tomorrow. But, quite frankly...I love the pot color and patina...it's muted matte finish and not glossy...If it's wrong...then it's wrong...but for me it is perfect! Love it...love the aged look to the pot. Hoping it gets a bill of approval from Brian...It only flares at the rim of the pot...not the sides. So a sound pot when on the bench.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Pot selection is more confusing than I would imagine...For since it's a deep pot I'm being told to look for exactly what you said not to get. But to get something like this...maybe because it's not very large...it's only 7 1/2 inches tall. *STILL buying the green pot...if nothing else...the lovely coral color quince that will turn red...can go into it.
(Shape...not glazing color) bowl shaped...
Pot suggestion per Scott Lee.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Matt only sells quality pots, Darlene.

Careful, though, quality pots are addictive!

Kinda like potato chips... Can't have just one!

Ever since I recieved that other nice cascade from him...I have looked at my cheaper production pots I got early on...and wrinkle my nose at times at them. (truth) Though...they still serve their purpose.

I still see your and BVF's reasoning behind the not so flared pot. Though the other may look nice...it would not be as stable. But...again like you mentioned...No rush in finding a pot. BUT...when I seen Matt's dark patina pot...And the size would fit...I had to have it. Figured if later I decided it wasn't a good paring...It was such an amazing pot that it didn't matter. But...I think it could work nicely with my azalea. I should just post photos up of the tree. Even though I am not fond of the photos of "pot in hand" sort of thing. (Would also like to appologise for the double photo. My internet is acting up with this nasty weather moving in. And the one of the better shot of the patina didn't show up. So I thought I hadn't added it prior to the rest of the pot's photos. It's now showing up...and I see that I reposted it. I'm now in the office on the desk top...for our wifi for mobile is acting up currently.)

So here it is...Though maybe it will get lost in the text. lol For it's not staged...and it's one that will be a favorite of mine.

The tree is 7 1/2" by 7 1/2"

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Brian Van Fleet how is this for dark? It actually is the PERFECT size I was looking for. I know...more of a cascade pot...but the exact measurements Scott Lee stated for me to look for.
While it's a nice pot it is none of these:
subtle, dark, simple, avoid texture and multiple colors
And yet, it could work...of course seeing the tree would help. Edit: seeing the tree, I think your Yamaaki pot is too \_/.
Funny; I have the round pot with the oribe glaze in post 36.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Matt's pot is a nice pot, but it's still not quite right. I think its too tall. Or, rather, it's not wide enough. Really can't tell until you have both of them together.

Now, here's something to think about: do the exposed roots extend down under the spaghnum moss? Under the soil? That tree might actually be taller than you think it is! And the root spread might actually be wider than you think!

I still think you're putting the cart in front of trhe horse trying to buy a pot for this tree that you actually haven't received yet!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Matt's pot is a nice pot, but it's still not quite right. I think its too tall. Or, rather, it's not wide enough. Really can't tell until you have both of them together.

Now, here's something to think about: do the exposed roots extend down under the spaghnum moss? Under the soil? That tree might actually be taller than you think it is! And the root spread might actually be wider than you think!

I still think you're putting the cart in front of trhe horse trying to buy a pot for this tree that you actually haven't received yet!

Good points on all accounts. Love the pot so it will come for either this tree or another. As you say...once I see the tree I would know more. As for size...I only know the size the seller suggested. And as of now...the tree is as tall as the seller states...since it was only recently repotted. Maybe the pot is only the wrong shape as he suggested as well.

While it's a nice pot it is none of these:

And yet, it could work...of course seeing the tree would help. Edit: seeing the tree, I think your Yamaaki pot is too \_/.
Funny; I have the round pot with the oribe glaze in post 36.
The seller I'm getting the tree from doesn't feel it's \_/ enough. Lol as for the pot your talking in post 36 I'm not sure what oribe glaze is...the first one in the photos? Or another?

Honestly...the dark pot with patina is stunning...and if not for this tree for another. I'm not concerned at this time what will go in it. Shoot...I may get a few pots and post a photo with tree behind and in a year find one that I feel suits the tree the most. But appreciate the advice that has been given. In the end...It really doesn't matter overly now. I've a long while before it would even go into said pot. But if for anything your pot color selection choice of dark...was what led me to this amazing pot. So I am not disappointed. Which is stunning...and I was just telling a friend I needed a squattier cascade pot for another tree. So a win in either way I look at it.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Was going to mess with ones...and leave the tree gone from the edited post above. But...I'm tired and that sounds mean of me. So before I head off to bed. Here it is...night all.
View attachment 100741 View attachment 100742
View attachment 100743
I like it....nice tree and nice pot color choice. When you get all the components together you can compose a virtual of the tree and pot together...without hands. I think it will look fabulous. I look forward to seeing photos of the tree in the pot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like it....nice tree and nice pot color choice. When you get all the components together you can compose a virtual of the tree and pot together...without hands. I think it will look fabulous. I look forward to seeing photos of the tree in the pot.

Thanks...the tree is something that is far from naturalistic...but the quirkiness of the neagari style draws me in. I've always wanted one...

I'm not as computer savvy in the edit department. I most likely will just place the pot in front of the tree for a photo. I see me buying a few pots until spring of next year. That may catch my eye...and possibly one will really work. I like this pot...and, when I discussed pot selections with Matt he stated. So in the end...that is true. But I will take into consideration things offered. I however don't ever see me choosing a round pot with the top tapering back in. I had heard they are a pain to repot...and issues in winter when substrate freezes of a pot cracking. Those two facts along the way...will keep me from that style. I do see the issue with the extremely flared sides...and if I go that route. It would have to be tied down. I understand that the green pot with the awesome patina is a cascade pot...I'm just thrilled it's mine as well.
  • Ultimately it comes down to what you want when it comes to bonsai. Pots, styling, ect...

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a good thread as far as pot/tree combos go. Very informative and would be great to see more. Though I feel the same as others have posted. As your thread stated, you are jumping the gun. Why not wait until the tree is in front of you. Bonsai is a lifetime journey. It's fine to get in early and picture glazes and styles of pots but until you physically hold the tree you can't make a final decision.
It's like buying a tree already in a bonsai pot and saying I'd like to see it in the same style and size but different colour, then you do a repot and realise there's not enough roots and need something much larger to improve the nebari. It's good to finally see the tree. Is it ready for a bonsai pot?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is a good thread as far as pot/tree combos go. Very informative and would be great to see more. Though I feel the same as others have posted. As your thread stated, you are jumping the gun. Why not wait until the tree is in front of you. Bonsai is a lifetime journey. It's fine to get in early and picture glazes and styles of pots but until you physically hold the tree you can't make a final decision.
It's like buying a tree already in a bonsai pot and saying I'd like to see it in the same style and size but different colour, then you do a repot and realise there's not enough roots and need something much larger to improve the nebari. It's good to finally see the tree. Is it ready for a bonsai pot?
Very true...to be honest...Dario talked me out of the crackle pot...but, even if it weren't for this tree. That green pot I would have inquired about.

Yes, I prefer trees in pots aready...offering a style to go from. This one is in what...one would call a training pot right? But the styles in the photos in Google searches...do offer up some light on to what style does appeal to me. Which I think are more stunning...so that will be somewhere where I also base my direction...

I'm exhausted.

Sorry Brian...but, I do appreciate your direction toward the darker color of pot. For it is much more subtle than the lighter ones. I hadn't noticed that until you brought that tidbit out. Now...I promise I will no longer tag you and exhaust you. Your advice given was sound and appreciated. Thanks again.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Djtommy appears I liked the photos there. But must confess I most likely paid more attention to the blooms. This time around...both tree and pot. Thanks for sharing the link...and lucky you to have seen them first hand! I imagine quite a fregrant showing...

Top Bottom