Jumped the gun...and can't delete. Will post new thread when I have a better photo of tree.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
@Djtommy appears I liked the photos there. But must confess I most likely paid more attention to the blooms. This time around...both tree and pot. Thanks for sharing the link...and lucky you to have seen them first hand! I imagine quite a fregrant showing...
I hope i can find the time to go back this year, will post new pictures if i do.
Grtz

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Djtommy appears I liked the photos there. But must confess I most likely paid more attention to the blooms. This time around...both tree and pot. Thanks for sharing the link...and lucky you to have seen them first hand! I imagine quite a fregrant showing...
Did you notice that most of the pots were unglazed?

In Japan, they use unglazed pots for azalea more than glazed. Here in the US, it seems glazed pots are used more than they are in Japan.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Did you notice that most of the pots were unglazed?

In Japan, they use unglazed pots for azalea more than glazed. Here in the US, it seems glazed pots are used more than they are in Japan.
Yea, I did see that. I actually found one that I liked...but of course to small. Not quite 5" round and only 2" tall I'm assuming including feet. But, this style is very attractive. The foot is stunning. Having the lip at the top also concerning for freezing substrate.
image.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Darlene, don't you have some kind of setup for winter care? How cold does it get?

My Atlas Cedar is in a pot that has a lip like that. It sat outside all winter with virtually no protection. Yes, it froze. And thawed. And froze. And thawed.

It didn't break.

Well draining soil doesn't hold enough water to become a solid ice cube. There's air in the soil. That allows for expansion.

Geez...

Do you ever worry that you worry too much? Or do you worry that you don't worry enough?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene, don't you have some kind of setup for winter care? How cold does it get?

My Atlas Cedar is in a pot that has a lip like that. It sat outside all winter with virtually no protection. Yes, it froze. And thawed. And froze. And thawed.

It didn't break.

Well draining soil doesn't hold enough water to become a solid ice cube. There's air in the soil. That allows for expansion.

Geez...

Do you ever worry that you worry too much? Or do you worry that you don't worry enough?

Honestly Adair...I have read enough threads on pots cracking and the substrate freezing that many opt to not go with round pots. I have heard many advise me on pots I was considering early on on FB auctions on shape. I can say a good handful if not more suggest I don't choose from pots with lips or round sides that taper back to a narrow rim. Having a controlled greenhouse does not mean my substrate does not freeze.

I don't call it worrying...but using common sense to not purchase a pot that could become an issue later on. Again...having many advise me from said pot shapes repeating over and over again the issues they are known for. Those ones taking the time explaining such to me...was food for thought. Just saying. They are also said to be a booger to repot.

I would call it knowledge offered,and wisdom from such...not worry keeping me from specific pot shape.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why not wait until the tree is in front of you.

Can't a girl buy a pot? Lol.
This is sexist.

A dude buys a pot to store in a cabinet, and everyone cheers.
A girl from Ohio wants to buy a pot and it is frowned upon!

I think you should buy that old blueish one regardless. Its pretty.

(text)

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here's the difference:
End of story.:cool:
A girl from Ohio wants to buy a pot (for a tree she doesn't have and hasn't shown us) and it is frowned upon!
4 pages, no story.:rolleyes:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea, I did see that. I actually found one that I liked...but of course to small. Not quite 5" round and only 2" tall I'm assuming including feet. But, this style is very attractive. The foot is stunning. Having the lip at the top also concerning for freezing substrate.
View attachment 100771
Hey, Darlene, was this pot listed for sale? Where? If you don't want it, I might buy it!

Thanks,

Adair

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here's the difference:

End of story.:cool:

4 pages, no story.:rolleyes:

I shared half of it...lol early on. I guess ones frown on teasers. Thought it could be done in light teasing sport. Guess I was wrong. Oh...wait I did share a photo of said tree. Just tried to make it a teaser sort of tree. Since it's not naturalistic in any sense...and let's be frank. Not a favored or sought after style. I tried to make a game of this tree. To make it appear more interesting. But yeah...that's not how it seemed to go down...my bad.

Can't a girl buy a pot? Lol.
This is sexist.

A girl from Ohio wants to buy a pot and it is frowned upon!

I think you should buy that old blueish one regardless. Its pretty.

(text)

Sorce
The one that makes me think of old gunstock with the coloring of the patina showing through. Oh I bought it! I would have bought it no matter had I a tree for it or not. It is stunning in the patina. That bad @ss pot is mine!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most of the pots you hear about that spall their glaze, or break in cold weather are the cheaper pots, many of them Chinese.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Most of the pots you hear about that spall their glaze, or break in cold weather are the cheaper pots, many of them Chinese.
Thanks Judy...I had not been told that aspect. Just...they are a major pain to repot. Getting a tree out of it one sometimes has to break the pot to spare the tree. A few pots of American potters went on FB auctions. I would show a few people asking their opinion and they would not tell me not to buy said pot. But...that the pot is more headache than its worth. I would have hated to buy a quality pot...and fear it crack. So...if Matt finds me a pot that has slight rounded sides. I will be less hesitant to buy it then. I did inquire if he had one like that of the azalea planted in the dark green pot in the size I need. He's looking...and will get back to me. It has slightly rounded corners...and what looks like a lip. I figured...worse case I take substrate out come fall...to compensate the expansion of substrate when froze. (I also recall ones saying they do that.) But maybe won't need to if the pot comes from Matt. As ones have said before he sells quality.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Thanks Judy...I had not been told that aspect. Just...they are a major pain to repot. Getting a tree out of it one sometimes has to break the pot to spare the tree. A few pots of American potters went on FB auctions. I would show a few people asking their opinion and they would not tell me not to buy said pot. But...that the pot is more headache than its worth. I would have hated to buy a quality pot...and fear it crack. So...if Matt finds me a pot that has slight rounded sides. I will be less hesitant to buy it then. I did inquire if he had one like that of the azalea planted in the dark green pot in the size I need. He's looking...and will get back to me. It has slightly rounded corners...and what looks like a lip. I figured...worse case I take substrate out come fall...to compensate the expansion of substrate when froze. (I also recall ones saying they do that.) But maybe won't need to if the pot comes from Matt. As ones have said before he sells quality.
Worst case....to me would be to just get one of those potting knives. They might have a more official name though. Basically, it's a knife blade you run around the pot where the roots meet the pot. Cuts nicely. Easy removal of the tree. Looks like the attached knife. Could be used on any pot....sometimes roots cling to the inside rough surface of the pot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 100945 View attachment 100946
Worst case....to me would be to just get one of those potting knives. They might have a more official name though. Basically, it's a knife blade you run around the pot where the roots meet the pot. Cuts nicely. Easy removal of the tree. Looks like the attached knife. Could be used on any pot....sometimes roots cling to the inside rough surface of the pot.
That's a nifty blade for sure...does anyone know the technical name of it!?! Thanks for the tip...will look into adding one.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's a nifty blade for sure...does anyone know the technical name of it!?! Thanks for the tip...will look into adding one.
I Google searched and found one name is a Sickle & Root Cutter. Here's a snapshot from that search of the tool being used.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 32

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In another thread about a month ago, I posted a video of Boon repotting a deciduous tree and he used one. There's several versions of it that work well.

The key technique is to drag it across the surface at the edge of the pot. Don't saw with it. Each stroke as you drag cuts a little deeper until you reach the bottom of the pot. You will end up cutting a groove 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide. As you work, pull some soil out as you dig your groove.

Yes, you do damage roots! No worries, you will trim with sharp scissors later.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In another thread about a month ago, I posted a video of Boon repotting a deciduous tree and he used one. There's several versions of it that work well.

The key technique is to drag it across the surface at the edge of the pot. Don't saw with it. Each stroke as you drag cuts a little deeper until you reach the bottom of the pot. You will end up cutting a groove 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide. As you work, pull some soil out as you dig your groove.

Yes, you do damage roots! No worries, you will trim with sharp scissors later.
Missed that thread...my broadband is limited use currently. So I will have to catch it either after hours when its free. Or...when in town. Good heads up though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I did not read all the posts, so this may be covered already, but looking at the photos of trees in pots it was apparent that most were for short-term display and not growing year round. Are you looking for a pot to grow your tree or just for a show? If a show, then you can use one of those small shallow pots. If this is an everyday pot you seek, then find one that is deep enough to keep the roots moist and cool. Satsuki do much better in deeper and wider pots. Several of those pots in post 35 are much too small for daily use, but ok for a show.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I did not read all the posts, so this may be covered already, but looking at the photos of trees in pots it was apparent that most were for short-term display and not growing year round. Are you looking for a pot to grow your tree or just for a show? If a show, then you can use one of those small shallow pots. If this is an everyday pot you seek, then find one that is deep enough to keep the roots moist and cool. Satsuki do much better in deeper and wider pots. Several of those pots in post 35 are much too small for daily use, but ok for a show.
Thanks Don, I believe that is why the seller stressed a larger pot. He stated 5-6" round and at least 3" deep. Which the patina pot does fit the bill. To the T...but, may not be the right style. But...in the end...Health over style is more important to me. Did you see the pot? It happens to be 6 1/4 x 3 1/2...but, I'm not sold...I have a year to keep looking. I actually think this one is more suited to the quince I have.

Appreciate your stating the show pot...verses the regular day shoes. I will never show it...so...it will be getting a thicker pot. Shooting for 3 1/2" just for the health of it.
image.jpg

Top Bottom