Jumped the gun...and can't delete. Will post new thread when I have a better photo of tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
s-l225.jpg
$_1.JPG

I'd stay neutral in color.
And have a bit of fun with the shape.

Or stay simple round, with a wicked detail on the feet, a detail that you only find on the second or third look.

Like....haha, this little face on the foot has been watching you look at my exposed roots! A detail that'll make someone say, "how'd I miss that?"

I cant wait to see the whole tree!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
View attachment 100036
View attachment 100037

I'd stay neutral in color.
And have a bit of fun with the shape.

Or stay simple round, with a wicked detail on the feet, a detail that you only find on the second or third look.

Like....haha, this little face on the foot has been watching you look at my exposed roots! A detail that'll make someone say, "how'd I miss that?"

I cant wait to see the whole tree!

Sorce
Much better picks imho, but as long as caddi likes what she picks who gives a rip. But a busy pot with negari satski might look super ugh.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm deciding to just wait until I see this tree in bloom. It was recently potted...so it could easily wait on potting even skipping next year if I chose I'm assuming. View it in bloom...(for I'm not sure if it's bloomed as of yet.) Get a feel for the tree without a pot. To see the direction I wish to go. The one seafood green crackle...I thought subtle to a degree. But...not making rash decisions...as Adair told me. This doesn't need potted anytime soon...so I have time to find the right paring.

Thanks all...for your input.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm deciding to just wait until I see this tree in bloom. It was recently potted...so it could easily wait on potting even skipping next year if I chose I'm assuming. View it in bloom...(for I'm not sure if it's bloomed as of yet.) Get a feel for the tree without a pot. To see the direction I wish to go. The one seafood green crackle...I thought subtle to a degree. But...not making rash decisions...as Adair told me. This doesn't need potted anytime soon...so I have time to find the right paring.

Thanks all...for your input.
Pictures or it didn't happen lol..:rolleyes:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Satsukis means 5th month (June on the Japanese calendar). Satsuki grow first, then bloom. Kurume and indica bloom first, then grow. Satsukis are usually in bloom for us in mid-May.
Especially when in bloom! Then, there would be three things competing for attention: blooms, roots, and pot.
Blooms win, every time. Since they're typically only shown in bloom, first find a pot that doesn't try to fight with the blooms (subtle, dark, simple, avoid texture and multiple colors). Then, second, find a pot that is visually stable enough to support the exposed roots. Shaped like this (_) or |_|, but be careful of pots shaped like this: \_/ .

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Some trivial information, satsuki can be translated as 5th month as in May,
Around here they usually bloom in may, june same as adair mentioned

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Hmm seems bfv posted while i was typing.. Anywayz,

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Satsukis means 5th month (June on the Japanese calendar). Satsuki grow first, then bloom. Kurume and indica bloom first, then grow. Satsukis are usually in bloom for us in mid-May.

Blooms win, every time. Since they're typically only shown in bloom, first find a pot that doesn't try to fight with the blooms (subtle, dark, simple, avoid texture and multiple colors). Then, second, find a pot that is visually stable enough to support the exposed roots. Shaped like this (_) or |_|, but be careful of pots shaped like this: \_/ .

Thanks for explaining...so a firm sound foundation bottom on the pot. Not one that is shaped as \_/ because it's more top heavy. With the extra above the pot anyways. Food for thought. I was thinking light blue Aqua ,or the lighter sea foam green to go with bloom. Dark...had not thought really that direction. Will chew on it. Thinking what...an unglazed pot then? Or dark as in what color?

I believe that was what Adair was getting at with that round cascade pot I have. If I used it...wire it down so not to blow over. Not that I won't secure it...I want a pot that is sound as well.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some trivial information, satsuki can be translated as 5th month as in May,
Around here they usually bloom in may, june same as adair mentioned
Fifth month on the old Japanese calander, converts to June on our calander.

Yes, Darlene, I would choose an unglazed pot for this tree! (The reason I've been telling you to go look at the ones on Google is that many of those are in unglazed containers. I was hoping you'd see that for yourself. But BVF spelled it out for you, far better than I can!)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fifth month on the old Japanese calander, converts to June on our calander.

Yes, Darlene, I would choose an unglazed pot for this tree! (The reason I've been telling you to go look at the ones on Google is that many of those are in unglazed containers. I was hoping you'd see that for yourself. But BVF spelled it out for you, far better than I can!)
There are unglazed...and some that aren't Adair...it's a toss up between preference I figured.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If one types in Neagari Azalea in Google images. The majority are colored pots. Many light cream...which I was not as fond of, and many blues.

Found this of the same variety which mine is...stunning...dark color. (Though suggested a much deeper pot by seller.)
image.jpg

Many in blue pots...
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A few cream/off white...
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
And actually not as many unglazed...if I see something subtle in foot on an unglazed pot. It won't be passed aside without deep consideration. But that first photo of the dark green pot with the same cultivar satsuki as mine...how it compliments the leaf yet not steal the show of the blooms. Stunning...curious if a deeper pot could achieve the same effect.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sure! If you want to cherry pick pictures, I have some:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My point is all the pots are considerably more understated than the ones you have been considering.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This style is kinda like a literati or bunjin style, and traditionally they're in round or "mostly round" pots.

Azalea tend to like pots that are a little on the deep side. And then, you need a fairly heavy root ball on these because most of the mass of the tree is elevated, so they're top heavy. Plus, the exposed root system is visually wide. So, using the general bonsai guideline that the pot be as deep as the trunk is wide, a wide base to the root system looks good with a deep pot.

As always with a round pot, the tree should be centered in the pot.

Top Bottom