Juniper beginner questions

jbhuynh

Seedling
Reaction score
Just got this juniper and the foliage is dense up top. Wondering if it’s ok to prune some of it to get more sun in the center of the tree? Also the soil does not look like the best bonsai soil. Should I wait to report it in better soil, if so when can I repot?

Attachments

• 91BD1714-30CB-45E2-A328-F92B8EDC583D.jpeg
    91BD1714-30CB-45E2-A328-F92B8EDC583D.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 42

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That thing left looks like one of them frog statues!

Welcome to Crazy!

You're probably best to just wire some of that foilage down, since you'll need the activity, the "traffic", to get it to bud interiorly.

I'd think about skinning it all the way down to the furthest trunks folaige and making it a Literati like tree in the far future.

Sorce

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Complete novice here but I'm under the impression of "if any of that foliage isn't getting sunlight, you don't need it"

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just got this juniper and the foliage is dense up top. Wondering if it’s ok to prune some of it to get more sun in the center of the tree? Also the soil does not look like the best bonsai soil. Should I wait to report it in better soil, if so when can I repot?
Definitely wait until a better time to repot provided you can manage watering in the meantime. Simple risk V gain. Repot now is definitely risky. Leaving in poor soil may be risky. Try to manage care to suit the current soil. Only attempt out of season repot if you feel the gain outweighs the extra risk.
Many growers are now repotting successfully in late summer when growth slows but still enough time for roots to recover before cold winter. Spring is the traditional tried and true time for repot. Hopefully you will get some input from experienced growers from similar climate zones with more than just theoretical advice on repotting.

The design is definitely odd! You can prune a bit at any time but also consider wiring as a means to get light into the tree. Pruning and wiring together is probably the best option.
Be aware that rough handling in spring and early summer can kill sections of juniper so if you wire do so gently and bend carefully. Might even be safer to wait until after mid summer for any wiring and bending.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmmmmm…..I'm not sure what you were thinking when you picked this one.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Complete novice here but I'm under the impression of "if any of that foliage isn't getting sunlight, you don't need it"
The opposite is true, just generally speaking. Inner foliage is needed to keep bonsai compact and to have foliage to cut back to as your tree continues to grow out and outgrows it's design. Part of the horticultural practice is thinning and/or manipulating the outer foliage to get adequate sunlight to the interior of the tree.

Top Bottom