juniper berries, dramm

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Curious why you guys go to the trouble of a can? Genuine question - not trying to be an ass. Are your trees too far away from a spigot for a hose? Or is there some other reason? I do use a can for fertlizing once a week but daily watering is a hose and a cheap wand on the shower setting.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Curious why you guys go to the trouble of a can? Genuine question - not trying to be an ass. Are your trees too far away from a spigot for a hose? Or is there some other reason? I do use a can for fertlizing once a week but daily watering is a hose and a cheap wand on the shower setting.
I honestly never have until this year. I’m trying something new this year in response to issues I’ve had in the past. Without being too long winded, I adjust my ph every time i water. My water PH sits around 8.0 - 8.2, but according to water quality reports apparently has a relatively low total alkalinity. My trees have always done great in spring and early summer, but by mid season to seasons end they all looked a bit ragged. Even the super hardy varieties that shouldn’t look that way. Ive also never been able to keep maples, and i have several trident this year that are doing pretty well, though 2 have some anthracanose issues I’m battling. My thought is that the plants buffering capacity for poor ph and relative total alkalinity is overwhelmed by seasons end. I’m seeing if i can negate that seeming issue. I may just be projecting, but most of my trees look better than they normally look this time of year. What i do is add 1/4 tsp of citric acid to a 5 gal bucket, it lowers my ph to about 6.0 - 6.2. Its my understanding that it gives my trees there best opportunity to take in all of the trace nutrients and minerals that I’m trying to give them. The whole process is rather quick and not much of a nuisance. I do water with my hose if I’m in a big rush though.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1- @hinmo24t , sorry to hi jack your thread!

2 - @VAFisher , I watched this video from Eric Schrader and though he doesnt go into great details, its something that was interesting to me and worth a shot. I bought a pretty basic PH meter and the same citric acid he uses.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
When I DO use tap water.(I don’t often HAVE to). i add 3 drops muriatic acid.. which brings my city water’s Ph to 6.5-6.8..

I’m with ya, Hart.

Oh!.. and my rainwater barrels get cleaned/bleached ever 1-2 months.. and lined (About 1” on the bottom) with this stuff!FD0752FA-31C1-4C6A-B29C-7F489E90CAE7.jpeg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I run 100% rain water for my plants

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
.... I was at the garden center today and I picked up a dramm 5l.... It leaks! Real bad. :( It was a good deal at 22 bucks but it didn't have the rose attached and it leaks.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have 2 big trash cans for rain barrels (with spigots on the bottoms) and the I use the hose for the vegetable garden.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
.... I was at the garden center today and I picked up a dramm 5l.... It leaks! Real bad. :( It was a good deal at 22 bucks but it didn't have the rose attached and it leaks.
Dang! Besides those ones “cast” from 2012-2014(ish) I’ve NEVER had one leak..

Well... I’ve handled them poorly. Dropped them.. only ever cracked one.

I’d call them (DRAMM).. There’s a chance that plastics get biffed around during delivery/shelving.. they will probably send you a new one.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I honestly never have until this year. I’m trying something new this year in response to issues I’ve had in the past. Without being too long winded, I adjust my ph every time i water. My water PH sits around 8.0 - 8.2, but according to water quality reports apparently has a relatively low total alkalinity. My trees have always done great in spring and early summer, but by mid season to seasons end they all looked a bit ragged. Even the super hardy varieties that shouldn’t look that way. Ive also never been able to keep maples, and i have several trident this year that are doing pretty well, though 2 have some anthracanose issues I’m battling. My thought is that the plants buffering capacity for poor ph and relative total alkalinity is overwhelmed by seasons end. I’m seeing if i can negate that seeming issue. I may just be projecting, but most of my trees look better than they normally look this time of year. What i do is add 1/4 tsp of citric acid to a 5 gal bucket, it lowers my ph to about 6.0 - 6.2. Its my understanding that it gives my trees there best opportunity to take in all of the trace nutrients and minerals that I’m trying to give them. The whole process is rather quick and not much of a nuisance. I do water with my hose if I’m in a big rush though.
Sorry, I don't follow. If the ph is 8, how do you have low alkalinity? That is on the alkaline side.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

I’d call them (DRAMM).. There’s a chance that plastics get biffed around during delivery/shelving.. they will probably send you a new one.
That's a really good idea, thanks. It does pour remarkably well. I wish I had the rose because it floods the soil out if the pot as is. It was the last one at the garden center and while I could probably return it, I don't think they would be able to give me a replacement.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cities (In the US) “buffer” their waTer to around 8.. JUUUUST in case your pipes are lead.....

View attachment 380193

but i’d recommend the entire document.
This is interesting but not what I would have expected. I was under the impression that much of the country has water that is too far on the acid side. There are water filters like Berkey that will make it more alkaline, that is one of their selling points. Also, if you put tap water in a blender for 10 seconds, you can taste it become more alkaline. It tastes faintly of baking soda. I have heard that humans are supposed to drink acid in the morning and bases in the evening to balance their internal PH.

It sounds like you have a system in place but storing water in a cistern will increase the acidity if that is your goal. Maybe you have already tested this with PH strips and such.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

That went great!!
I called, they picked up on the second ring, said to send some pictures and they would take care of it. I am impressed! Very good customer service.
20210611_163535.jpg
She said that they were backed up as far as shipping time but that's ok.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If you can find any of THESE years.. they were “pouring/pressing(not EXACTLY sure)” them at the Manitowoc plant, themselves.. it ended up being too costly, and people complained that they were too heavy... but here’s a “botched color” from the last squeeze of two...

HEAVY... DUTY.

EFFA20F4-0978-463F-B636-FC74DDB68036.jpeg

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you can find any of THESE years.. they were “pouring/pressing(not EXACTLY sure)” them at the Manitowoc plant, themselves.. it ended up being too costly, and people complained that they were too heavy... but here’s a “botched color” from the last squeeze of two...

HEAVY... DUTY.

View attachment 380318
That looks like an excellent can. Reminds me of the late 80's.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

HEAVY... DUTY.

View attachment 380318
😎

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

HEAVY... DUTY.

View attachment 380318
I think the "botched color" is pretty awesome. One of kind, sort of fitting you have it, being one of a kind also. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Top Bottom