Juniper ID

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Picked this up from a local nursery. There wasn’t a label on this specific one, but among the 5 there that were all the same, one was labeled Sabina Juniper. I’m not sure if that’s what this is though after looking at photos.

Any help on an ID would be appreciated!
1CFB8F2D-E8A9-4A21-AA35-E0AC3E3F196E.jpegAC300444-61DB-49D5-AEBE-F6B1ACC2FDEB.jpeg84E5396E-D13B-4EEA-8BAC-CB4D01F7C3F2.jpeg97497ABF-DF25-43FF-B243-547F34DE33A7.jpeg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Juniperus media (sabina x chinensis) var. mint julep is my best guess.
Those do the golden winter color, and they flower right now.

Regular media/pfizer are a tad bit greener at this time.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Juniperus media (sabina x chinensis) var. mint julep is my best guess.
Those do the golden winter color, and they flower right now.

Regular media/pfizer are a tad bit greener at this time.
Sounds like it could be decent bonsai material. Usually the golden winter color isn’t ideal for a lot of growers, especially when displaying in winter, cause the tree can appear sickly, but doesn’t bother me. I have an Atlantic White Cedar that does the same in winter.

I’ll try and get some better pics later today.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The golden color goes away when it's in more airy medium, thankfully.

They make good trunks, but they are susceptible to rust and everything else. Tough as nails though!
Foliage is a bit sparse when they grow hard, which is hard to make pads out of. But Bjorn Bjorholm did a styling recently that turned out pretty nice. I'm grafting mine with chinensis or itoigawa because I prefer working with that kind of foliage.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The golden color goes away when it's in more airy medium, thankfully.

They make good trunks, but they are susceptible to rust and everything else. Tough as nails though!
Foliage is a bit sparse when they grow hard, which is hard to make pads out of. But Bjorn Bjorholm did a styling recently that turned out pretty nice. I'm grafting mine with chinensis or itoigawa because I prefer working with that kind of foliage.
Well maybe this will end up being a grafting project down the road. I’m still learning a lot and haven’t had any experience grafting yet.

Thanks for the help!

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
But Bjorn Bjorholm did a styling recently that turned out pretty nice. I'm grafting mine with chinensis or itoigawa because I prefer working with that kind of foliage.
Meant to ask, was this on his YouTube channel? If so, do you have a link?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It was on his instagram page, not sure if it was also on his bonsai-u videos.

But it's a short fragment.

I think @leatherback did a grafting video that was pretty comprehensible. It's easier than people make you believe it is.

Top Bottom