Juniper problems are everywhere

Hmm I haven't sprayed much of anything this year except for some insectide early this spring for some wooly aphids, scale or adelgids some of my trees had early on. My trees seem to have stayed free of fungus soo far although I think my maples might be getting some because of the wet weather the past week.

Guess Ill break out the fungus spray tonight and apply some just for general principles.
This year continues to amaze weatherwise.

"Copper, Daconil, Mancozeb"

Are these chemicals in the spray or the name of the product ?
After reading all the post I think my juniper have the spider mites too and want to know what is best to get rid of them.

I have heard of Raid Roach and Ant Killer :)

"Copper, Daconil, Mancozeb"

Are these chemicals in the spray or the name of the product ?
After reading all the post I think my juniper have the spider mites too and want to know what is best to get rid of them.

I have heard of Raid Roach and Ant Killer :)

Those are fungicides; copper is a type, the others are brand names.
If you have mites you need a pesticide, such as Diazanon, Malathion, Isotox.

I had super crazy mites that nothing would kill all over my landscape plants and bonsai this year. I finally made a combination of malathion and avid got a gas mask and nuked everything. Worked like a champ. Nearly lost a shimpaku before resorting to such violence.

I had super crazy mites that nothing would kill all over my landscape plants and bonsai this year. I finally made a combination of malathion and avid got a gas mask and nuked everything. Worked like a champ. Nearly lost a shimpaku before resorting to such violence.

Landscape trees might be different. However, on my 2 junipers, bonsai, that had mites, all I used was the homemade pesticide soap/oil/alcohol and also all seasons horticultural oil and it wiped them out. I sprayed the trees at relatively close intervals. Like the first 2 sprayings were twice in the first week.

Rob

I got around to getting the Malathion today. I will mix as directed and spray on my junipers, pots and bench. What about the soil, should I pray it direct? or have it covered when sprayed.

Thanks

Rubbing alcohol and water at the right concentration will kill any spider mite. About a tablespoon per quart and rinse the tree after spraying, and keep out of the sun for a day. Safer than insecticides.

In the landscape business many years ago we killed off massive spider mite problems with soap alcohol and water. By massive I mean covering all the foliage on a thirty foot tree. Millions of mites. One shot of alcohol and they are dead.

In the landscape business many years ago we killed off massive spider mite problems with soap alcohol and water. By massive I mean covering all the foliage on a thirty foot tree. Millions of mites. One shot of alcohol and they are dead.

Yup.. I wiped out spider mites and scale using the homemade soap, alcohol, water and cooking oil mix. I also used Bonide all seasons horticultural oil. Both wiped them out and both are the least toxic pesticides. As mentioned, the tree should be kept out of the sun for a day or 2. I usually shower the tree off well before putting it back in the sun.

Rob

Re:

Hey folks I think we are missing an important fact here. Mites, insects and fungus are all very different. What we use on mites must be a miticide. An insecticide will kill insects, but not mites. And neither a miticide or insecticide will kill a fungus.

So as always you must carefully read the label before you purchase and read and comply before you use any pesticides (yes all of these and a host of other "icides" are all pesticides). And as you know there are many commercial preparations that combine insecticides, miticides, etc.

Our land grand colleges are a source for excellent information. Here is a link on spider mites as an example. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7405.html

Just wanted to make clear so we use the right thing on the right pest.

Back
Top Bottom