junipers in the yard

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
random pictures from the yard. two tanuki procumbens nana junipers and a itoigawa shimpaku

best wishes, sam

Attachments

• DSC08644.jpg
    DSC08644.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC08650.jpg
    DSC08650.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC08653.jpg
    DSC08653.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

woodguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice. Sam you have a great yard. Must be wonderful to stroll around in. Oh and the grass...:D

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, very nice. I love that itoigawa :D

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice trees. I have always liked tanuki, its a shame so many people look down on them.

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
grass

thanks for the feedback gentlemen:

I appreciate your comments. I collect interesting pieces of deadwood while looking for trees. my personal opinion is if you can join an inferior tree with a nice piece of deadwood and make the combination better than the two separate parts - why not? in some instances, its harder to create a believable tanuki than a living tree. I saw quite a few high quality tanuki in asia-so good you couldn't tell the difference. to do or not, a matter of personal choice. just another tangent of bonsai.

for wood. more grass pictures. the type is seashore paspalum, very much like golf green grass but not as temperamental. the grass is highly salt tolerant, good for guys like me who live near the ocean. when weeds invade, I actually kill them by applying table salt. the weeds die, the grass is fine.

best wishes, sam

Attachments

• DSC08659.jpg
    DSC08659.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC08660.jpg
    DSC08660.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC08663.jpg
    DSC08663.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC08664.jpg
    DSC08664.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 106

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Impressive treatment of the deadwood, I like how you've left some of it darker so it gave the impression of a wider live vein. It worked, I had to look again several times trying to figure out what tanuki was being referenced!

Charles M

Seedling
Reaction score
I couldn't tell the first two Junipers were tanuki -- until I went back and read the post again. I was sitting there amazed at those Junipers. Bonsai is supposed to be art, and I know good art when I see it.

As far as anyone criticizing them for being tanuki, for me this is like a fan of Rembrandt criticizing a Picasso painting because the eyes don't line up. Art is about doing what pleases you, not what pleases others, and this is what angers me when folks start making noise about a tree not following the rules.

Once we set standards, then bonsai stops being an art and starts being a craft.

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
thanks for the kind words.

best wishes, sam

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sam,
I'm also impressed with your tuniki. Yet I think i'm more impressed with your stool benches. sam, do you live in a land without wind? Is it like living in heaven? sam, is there there really such a place? Can I live there too?

God how i hate the wind.

Ray

woodguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the info on the grass Sam. Being able to use salt as a selective weed killer must be great.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Beautiful trees - beautiful lawn!

I was laughing when I saw the stools, however. My first thought: "what does he do when there's an earthquake?" :)

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
living green

thanks guys.

the stools are recycled bar stools with rotating seats. attach a piece of 1/2 inch marine ply and voila!! a light, stable and inexpensive turntable. perfect height for seated work.

best wishes, sam

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, very nice. Do you ever worry about security? I'd probably have sentry guns lined up around the property. Maybe it's like here where people have no idea what they are looking at.:)

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
never had a twig taken in 14 years. friends in honolulu have suffered mightily from thieves. here, we're isolated by 100 miles of ocean, have a small population where everyone knows everyone, and neighbors who watch out for one another. only two ways to get stuff off the island, by barge or by cargo plane. we have friends working both places. no place to hide here.

best wishes, sam

Top Bottom