Juniperus squamata meyeri. Styling.

Freshman100

Sapling
Reaction score
So today I got this Juniper tree for cheap, so I made my second attempt at styling a tree, what do you all think. Any advice welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190526_155822.jpg
    IMG_20190526_155822.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20190526_155758.jpg
    IMG_20190526_155758.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20190526_205215.jpg
    IMG_20190526_205215.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20190526_205156.jpg
    IMG_20190526_205156.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 152

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Not bad. Simple, appropriate for the material.

Future adjustment. Branches should be on the outside of the curve of the trunk. 3rd branch up looks like it is on the inside of a curve. You can rebend the trunk, adding a bend so that branch is on the outside of a curve, or you can remove the branch. Or?

What I'm seeing might be a trick of the camera, so don't do anything if it looks right to you.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you are in the northern hemisphere, this is not a good time to wire junipers. There is a chance of causing the cambium to tear loose from the trunk, killing everything above the tear. In late summer through autumn and into winter, the cambium will be tight, and it will be safer to wire. You might wait to fix the trunk and 3rd branch

Freshman100

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your reply, the 3rd branch is slightly to the side rather than inside the curve, here is a picture of the back of tree, didn't want to remove too many branches too soon so I left it for now. The material was a practice so if I loose it. I didn't loose too much money. It had alot of roots I removed, as well as foliage, I was quite ruthless, so if it survives, I've got a nice little tree. I have given some quality soil with pumice akadama. With compost top soil to give it the best chance. I'll leave the wire for now, watch and wait. Fingers crossed. I'm now at little loss if I should pinch some buds back or wait though.

Attachments

• IMG_20190526_205156.jpg
    IMG_20190526_205156.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 111

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would wait. For someone new, you did a good job, don't view my comments as negative, just trying to help with your future work.

Junipers usually need to be allowed to recover for a year or more after repotting or root work. No pinching, no further pruning until May 2020. It needs to settle in and grow for a season.

Junipers are strong growers, but are best when you work on them one day, then leave them alone for recovery.

If you are itching to do more bonsai, pick up another juniper, get 5, that way you can have one to work on, while the others recover.

If you are all caught up on Bonsai chores, you don't have enough trees. That's my key to patience. I have over a hundred, and am always be behind.

Freshman100

Sapling
Reaction score
No worries, all cool. wow, over a hundred trees, my wife would kill me.lol. I have about 10. And 10 in development. Keeps me busy keeping them alive. And 3 kids. Still loving the art though.

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
100 trees wow you are just getting started. I have over 250 and am in the process of trying to down size. plants are getting bigger and need more care now.
so I just don't need that meany. Several junipers, assorted conifers, several kinds of Japanese maples, red pines lots of old Ponderous some over 75 to 100 years old.
Just keep working on them and over time with club meetings and reading Bonsai books, and reading the Bonsai nut column you will learn a lot, but just keep practicing
on your trees. You will need to develop a great amount of PATIENCE in this amazing hobby. Some thing you do will take years to show if you did it right.
KEEP THE FAITH.
GOOD LUCK,
Robert Gardner

D

Deleted member 43661

I know I’m late to the party but does anyone know where I could find the “meyeri “ cultivar? Can’t seem to find it anywhere!

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
"Meyeri" was popular up to about 20 or 30 years ago. You can find large specimens in yards. In trade currently it has been largely replaced by "Blue Star"

D

Deleted member 43661

"Meyeri" was popular up to about 20 or 30 years ago. You can find large specimens in yards. In trade currently it has been largely replaced by "Blue Star"
What’s the difference between the two? What I’m looking for is something with that turquoise blue color that gets to about 7ft upright at maturity. To my knowledge, meyers juniper is what I’m looking for, right??

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
"Blue Star" is the color you want but is shorter growing
You might find "Meyeri" someplace

Top Bottom