K5ATG's Six Year JBP Contest

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well after several days of horrible experiences I was finally able to order my JBP seeds from Treeseeds.com. I started trying to order my seeds on Monday 25 June 2018 and was finally able to place the order on Wednesday 27 June 2018 and they arrived this morning 30 June 2018. Do not get me wrong the bad experience was not through Treeseeds.com, I ham very happy with them. The problem was with my bank. Every time I tried to order my card was denied and was reported stolen. So I had to keep calling the hot sounding chick at the bank (It was probably some 400 dude in Siberia named Iggamo) to reinstate my card. Finally she found the problem. I was not approved to purchase goods from the foreign nation of Vermont. I'm not always up to date but did we lose a state?
Anyway I know I'm a half a year behind the contest but I'm not expecting total victory here. However I am entering the contest to showcase my many many mistakes to the world. I have never had a Japanese Black Pine, but I watched a Nigel Saunders video and like a meme on Facebook so what else is there for me to learn? :D
Here is the progression of my trees since I got them a couple of hours ago.
Japanese Black Pine 6 Year Contest 30 June 2018 a.jpg

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
But, hey, you haven't killed any of them yet!
Welcome aboard, you are not as far behind most of us as you might think.

. . . foreign nation of Vermont. I'm not always up to date but did we lose a state?
Well, if we are going to lose a state . . . .OK, I'm not going to say it.:p

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Started the 24 hour soak
Soaking the JBP seeds fpr 24 hours 30 June 2018.jpg
At this rate expect a finished tree by Thursday.
I ordered 20 JBP seeds and took 20 out of the seed packet to soak, this is how many I have left.
JBP Seed Packet 30 June 2018.jpg

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here are the seeds after soaking for 24 hours. Its hard to tell but out of the 20 seeds, 17 of them sank. I planted the ones that sank, the floaters I planted in a separate pot. So far after an hour and a half, there has been no record-able growth.
Japanese Black Pine seeds 01 July 2018.jpg

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are the seeds after soaking for 24 hours. Its hard to tell but out of the 20 seeds, 17 of them sank. I planted the ones that sank, the floaters I planted in a separate pot. So far after an hour and a half, there has been no record-able growth.
View attachment 199147
Hour and a half and no action? Hopefully You didn’t get Southern Hemisphere seeds because if so, they grow the opposite direction?. Just kidding of course, I think I saw action after 8-10 days if I remember correctly.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It took a month before my seeds started to germinate, but then again, that was march :)

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The mighty trees have started to grow!
JBP Sprouting 11 July 2018 a - Copy.jpg

Out of the 20 seeds that I planted, I have 4 of them that have sprouted at this time.

Attachments

• JBP Sprouting 11 July 2018 b.jpg
    JBP Sprouting 11 July 2018 b.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 1

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry have not been on in a bit, been busy with amateur radio, family and being sick.
Anyway I lost one of my seedlings today. I'm pretty sure it was the heat. I moved them to the shade and tried to run a mister in the area, but I guess you win some and lose some.
I also lost a mulberry, privet and Chinese juniper. My backyard weather station has the days high being 108 F (42 C) which is not the hottest it gets around here.
I'll check back in when I can, right now I'm headed out to the patio with a glass of sweet tea to slow down and enjoy life for the evening.

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All of my JBP seedlings have either disappeared (birds) or died. So I still have a bunch of seeds left so I will try again in the spring.

Top Bottom