Keep or Toss?

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Personally I wouldn't have used that leader. You already don't have much taper in that leader compared to the first section. Unless it will be a light and airy type tree and less muscular

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Personally I wouldn't have used that leader. You already don't have much taper in that leader compared to the first section. Unless it will be a light and airy type tree and less muscular

What would you have done?

That leader is only going to be about 2 inches long after a year more of growth. I think that by that time it will have increased in taper and character.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It's pretty much the same size as the trunk section below it. One year of growth and it will be the same size and relatively straight from whatnot can see it the photos. Not that deciduous trees have to have huge changes in direction especially elms. I would have chopped it flush on the lower section and made a multi trunk tree or use a branch off it if you had to have a single trunk. But you know what they say about opinions.

Last edited:

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Three weeks after the cut and we have our first bud. In my opinion it is too low on the trunk but I am wanting some other opinions. What do you say?View attachment 186286

I like your and Mellow's plan with this tree. Things will look much different when you chop the leader and start the third section.

And I like your knife too. I have an Old Timer hunting knife that my Dad got me when I was a kid. From when they were still made in the USA. I carry this Uncle Henry around quite a bit but it's Chinese made unfortunately.
20180411_071134.jpg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ok well here is the tree this spring. I assume that I am full steam ahead for the next chop. I am a bit disappointed in the amount of healing over the first chop. Any suggestions, opinions or onward with the plan?
20190407_142530.jpg20190407_142535.jpg20190407_142543.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
at least on top of the wound some callus formed at this rate a year or 5-7 and it will be closed and whats 5 year in bonsai :p
making another cut will slow down the healing of this wound
how tall do you want the tree to be eventually?

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was thinking about 15 - 18". "Five years" what is it? Depends how old you are, but it does fly by.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was thinking about 15 - 18". "Five years" what is it? Depends how old you are, but it does fly by.

Yeah true, im only 30 so hope i still got plenty of years to go but didn't think about the fact that 5 years for older people might be a different thing.

What i actualy ment is you will be building the primary branches and structure so when the time come's when refinement starts the wound also Will be (nearly) closed
Its a possibility to let it grow and place some thread grafts next year to get branches where you want or prune it back hard to get some buds opened lower on the trunk

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well here is the tree and the wound today. Getting anxious to make the next chop. Again a bit disappointed in the progress of last year. Got any opinions on whether to chop or hold off longer? John do you have any words of wisdom?
20200322_164754.jpg20200322_164822.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sucks the wound didn’t heal up as much as you wanted, but if you wait to long on the next chop the top will thicken more and probably loose the taper you were after by making the first chop. I say chop it!

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I missed the timing by a bit but being an elm I thought it would be alright. Trimmed up the roots a bit, put back in a flat and then........ chopped it. Stay at home was getting to me. This was about 1 1/2 weeks ago so no new buds as of yet.20200429_155632.jpg20200429_161519.jpg20200429_163244.jpg

Last edited:

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Three weeks since the big cut and one, only one new bud. Not exactly where I wanted it either.
That first branch is awfully straight too don't you think?
Back to waiting..........20200517_153411.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You chopped as exactly I envisioned:eek:. First branch thin enough to bend(WAIT till after roots established please). One bud better than none😁. Expect more shortly. However effort was not helped at all by root pruning and cutting off trunk at same time. Base presentation could be helped NEXT repot by tilting tree to right so big root is more buried also bringing up other roots at same time.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Would it help to produce more buds if I trimmed the shoots on the first branch?20200523_120803.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Would it help to produce more buds if I trimmed the shoots on the first branch?View attachment 304679
Budding depends upon nitrogen nutrition which comes from the roots.
Foliage produces the carbohydrates for making new tissue (e.g., roots) and auxin for stimulating root growth.

Pruning eliminates the major auxin source, the bud at the branch tip. Maybe it will result in more buds and more shoots, but in the meantime the tree is missing some foliage and the major auxin sources. 🤔

I think @Saddler has given you some good advice.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here is the stump today. Yes more buds are popping. In looking at the new buds I am wondering on the last chop, where would be the ideal spot to have a new bud for the new leader going forward?
Opinions or facts?
Thanks for the help.20200602_072641.jpg20200602_072508.jpg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No comments? I don't know the preferred location for the new leader. Need some ideas. Thanks

Matt B

Mame
Reaction score
I think I would start by tuning the tree around and finding where you imagine the front of the tree to be, then you choose your leader. Post several images of the tree as you turn it, and maybe someone more experienced than I will have a stroke of inspiration and offer advice.

Top Bottom