Kinzu (Golden Bean kumquat)

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Such a cool species, glad to see sharing going on. Would love to see what everything does with them.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just lurking like usual haha but Is it just me or are most of the pictures in this thread not viewable anymore? Seems like a lot of threads are like that, something about 3rd party websites? Don’t know if it’s from the new update or if it was like that before.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Such a cool species, glad to see sharing going on. Would love to see what everything does with them.
I did not do much on this plant because I have been busy with other trees!!! :rolleyes:
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just got my little one. Trunk's about half inch. Keep posting info please!
Lucky you. To get kinzu that size, I think it takes many years except if your tree is grafted one. Can you post the picture of it? Thanks
Thụ Thoại

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Lucky you. To get kinzu that size, I think it takes many years except if your tree is grafted one. Can you post the picture of it? Thanks
Thụ Thoại

Here it is... Just a house plant right now. Fruits are just a bit larger than a pea. I ate one. Not bad but mostly seed. Definitely not grafted.

IMG_20181225_155848660.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181225_160101408.jpg
    IMG_20181225_160101408.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20181225_155949589.jpg
    IMG_20181225_155949589.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 42

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
I am incredibly jealous! I assume this has to be an import, is that correct? Do you have a thread for it?

Yes, originally from Japan. I do not have a thread for it but maybe i will create one this evening with older photos. I am currently in Japan studying at Kouka-en ( the kinzu is in Florida) so there wont be any new photographs for quite some time.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, originally from Japan. I do not have a thread for it but maybe i will create one this evening with older photos. I am currently in Japan studying at Kouka-en ( the kinzu is in Florida) so there wont be any new photographs for quite some time.
Oh that sounds like a great opportunity, very cool. I’ll be on the watch for the thread!

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
I got my kinzu from @KayaMooney :)

Very glad to see that it is doing well!

I'm not sure I mentioned this during the sale but Kinzu or any kumquats for that matter tend to be slightly zinc and iron deficient naturally. A little chelated iron and zinc every 2-3 weeks will do the trick. Southern CA tends to have water which is very high on the pH scale as well, so adding small amounts of granular soil acidifier a few times a year can help in producing more fruit and greening up the leaves.

Top Bottom