Koi Pond info/pics Please.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
heres one I caught last summer on snyder lake, and this other little guy I keep as a pet.. found him in my front yard on chrismas eve! it was an odd winter last year. dont usually find hatchlings walking around on chirsmas eve in Michigan. them alligator snappers are awesome Rock.

Attachments

• snapper.jpg
    snapper.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 50
  • baby snapper.jpg
    baby snapper.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 49

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
'gator snappers can go to 200 lbs and are the largest freshwater turtle in North America and among the largest turtles in the world. They've been one of my favorite critters ever since I saw my first one at my Grandmother's place in southeast Texas when I was 7 or so. The thing was bigger than me. Looked like a dinosaur. It had eaten all the ducks on the pond that summer.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
We got the turtle man In our neck of the woods, should talk to him maybe? Or not lol go noodleing if you want to stock some ponds , or not all this made me think of these two things haha

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
'gator snappers can go to 200 lbs and are the largest freshwater turtle in North America and among the largest turtles in the world. They've been one of my favorite critters ever since I saw my first one at my Grandmother's place in southeast Texas when I was 7 or so. The thing was bigger than me. Looked like a dinosaur. It had eaten all the ducks on the pond that summer.
They're also exceptionally long lived. Common snappers can live for 50 + years, and their bigger cousins can live twice that long.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You Northerners aren't well acquainted with BIG snapping turtles. In the south, there are Alligator snapping turtles. Makes collecting bald cypress a bit more interesting...
The guy I used to buy snakes from had 2 big ones.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Along with the alligator snapper, alligator gars are also in the swamp, sometimes with the snapping turtles..
go to 1:20

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There used to be a gigantic turtle at the Philly zoo. Truly, it was about 4 foot long and lived in a square 6 foot tank.
Every time I ever saw it, its mouth was open wide waiting for something to swim in for dinner. It had a creepy hanging uvula thing in its throat that wiggled around as a lure.
CW

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Probably because they pretty much are dinosaurs lol. Like crocodiles, and many other reptiles, quite unchanged in millions of years. Probably why a lot of types of turtles are so good at living... Longest living species the sea turtle, lives over 100 years.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a tiny pond. 4ft dia round and 2 1/2 deep. More of a goldfish bowl than a Koi Pond.
As summer heat has arrived I have to clean weekly as it turns into a frog pond.
I've tried an algicide w/no luck. Added half dozen Gold Fish last week and hoped they help eat the green stuff.
In reality all they did was make it a PIA to clean. I still like it tho. Sitting on the porch in the evening listening to the water fountain trickle is so soothing and makes me smile. Looking to try some sort of filter.
my Bald Cypress loves it.

Try Algae eaters(tropical fish)and find way to keep H2O warm for them in winter or keep inside;). And pond filter.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My koi pond in my garden is not big, about 4x3ft and around 24" deep. You can keep Koi in a pond without it having to be thousands of gallons but you just have to know when to replace them. Koi grow at a decent rate but not as fast as some other fish like some of my Cichlids so you can have the same Koi for a few years till they start to outgrow the pond size. Good thing is it is easy to sell a good size Koi for decent money. So you can buy small Koi for $5-$10 at 3-6" range and have them in your small pond till they get to be 10-12" range then sell them to either the local pond supply store, or in my case I belong to a local Cichlid club and most the members have ponds so it's easy for me to sell them to other club members once they outgrow my pond. I'm probably going to go bigger on my pond next year though and redig it to about 500-600 gallon range.

As someone else said, build your own filter for your pond. I use 5 gallon bucket painted black to blend in, install a 710gph pump in the top under the lid with the hose coming out the top. Then I layer the bucket with media in the bottom, pads in the middle, and floss in the upper. All water draws in through holes drilled in the bottom of the bucket so it' works as a submersible canister style filter.

This is a pair of them like I just described, I made these two for my sisters 700g pond just last week....
misc%20010_zpsnimxrbd2.jpg

Algae can be a problem in any pond, especially one that is new and not yet established. Usually you'll get a diatoms bloom of brown then green after that. Long as you have good filtration and a good quality algae treatment chemical then it will usually go away pretty fast. The best I have found is called Algae Fix and it's made by the company Pond Care. I wouldn't bother with plecos (algae eaters) in a pond. Most common plecos expend more waste (raising Nitrates) than the algae they consume so it's not really worth it. Bristol nose plecos eat a fair share of algae but they are best left to aquariums and not ponds.

Right now I bring my Koi inside during the winter and keep them in 55-75g tanks in my Cichlid fish room. You can leave them outside though, just get a cmall pond heater to keep in the pond to keep the surface from icing over so the gases can escape and the fish will go into hibernation and be fine.

You get a chance to set one up give it a go Source. They are a really enjoyable thing to have and add a nice relaxing feel to the garden :)

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you use a similar idea for the filter but leave it open on top, you could put some plants in to further remove N. Thats aquaponics and is awesome!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you ever do anything @sorce with the pond? I got a start on mine. More bartering with customers. LOL
My starting point is in the first few posts.
Today pic
IMG_20170303_175553635.jpg IMG_20170303_175608936.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nah.....

Turns out the Very last thing I want to do is add any value to this place!

But soon! Soon soon soon!

In bonsai years maybe...but soon!

Sorce

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had a second go at pics. 14ft by 2ft deep plus a little in the middle

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nah.....

Turns out the Very last thing I want to do is add any value to this place!

But soon! Soon soon soon!

In bonsai years maybe...but soon!

Sorce

Don't miss that in your editing!

I'll be back in an hour!:p

Sorce

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
I built this pond a couple of years ago, some pics of how it has developed, I was aiming for a non-symmetrical style that didn't look too unnatural. It's roughly 4' x 6' and 3' deep.
I use a 12,000 litre per hour pump which I leave running all through the year. The outlet splits in two - half goes through a pressurised 3 tier filter with a UV bulb and straight back into the pond, the other half goes up into the smaller pool at the top which feeds down into the pond. I've never had a problem with algae blooms at all, even for a year after the UV bulb died. The main problem I have is blanket weed which is a constant battle. Nice and balanced system though, I've got a few frogs and even a couple of newts have found their way in which is nice, especially now that the cats have grown out of bringing the frogs in EVERY. GODAMN. NIGHT.

Last year I decided to rebuild the shallow area on one side to create a ramp - doubles for allowing frogs and anything to go in and out, as well as creating a natural drainage on the side I want it when we have endless rain - I planted some colourful slow growing 'midwinter fire' dogwood at the drainage site because they can deal with a lot of damp soil. I expect I'll find some other way of playing with it this summer.
Pond has never frozen over with the waterfall running, but the last few years our winters have been worryingly mild.

My dog chased away a heron a few weeks ago but I have noticed I'm about 8 fish down :( luckily they are only goldfish but some of them were pretty big and really colourful. I'm going put a suspended net about a foot above it this year and restock it. The foam on the surface in the last picture is because the frogs have unloaded absolutely LOADS of spawn this year, and as some of it breaks down the extra protein in the water causes the foaming.
IMG_20140601_194654.jpg IMG_20140601_203608.jpg IMG_20140608_100611.jpg IMG_20140630_171301.jpg IMG_20140820_201432.jpg IMG_20160422_091701634.jpg IMG_20170304_105644614.jpg

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please make with these updates!

My shovel hand is itchin.

Sorce

Top Bottom