Large and neglected nursery Valley Oak (Quercus Lobata)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did a complete clear out of the clay and dirt this thing had been growing in. No wonder it was so scraggily. It’s potted in 1:1:1 APL. In an Anderson flat. Since repotting 5 days ago it has begun to open its buds. I went ahead and did a sketch of what i envision for this tree. I will need to thread graft at least 2 branches and will also need to work on the roots some. I dont see this tree being a completely full heavily ramified tree over time but rather an old oak that has gone through struggle for decades and centuries.

The branches in red will be the potential thread graft branches/trunks as both will need to be removed eventually. The top branch will be my prime candidate for the branch that moves right off of the trunk. I will do some carving and deadwood work at the top of the trunk after that section is removed. Id imagine this vision is a 7-10 year project.

7857266B-17FB-4EA8-94FB-D2D4FAFE08BA.jpegFCBCC78E-4204-49CE-A1FF-5F1BBA9AA3A0.jpeg

Attachments

• BF91B16A-04D8-4BB2-B091-16F6AD5C3366.jpeg
    BF91B16A-04D8-4BB2-B091-16F6AD5C3366.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 806A323D-737F-479C-BAB8-76E5BAC12B39.jpeg
    806A323D-737F-479C-BAB8-76E5BAC12B39.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 31

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
44067BD9-2C74-4509-93F6-9BE222C07B37.jpeg
I cleared all of the crossing roots and tangle bits. Above the soil line. What I’m left with is a bit chunky but I think it has a better look. I’ve never thread grafted or approach grafted an oak. I’d imagine it’ll just take time and a healthy plant.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did a complete clear out of the clay and dirt this thing had been growing in. No wonder it was so scraggily. It’s potted in 1:1:1 APL. In an Anderson flat. Since repotting 5 days ago it has begun to open its buds. I went ahead and did a sketch of what i envision for this tree. I will need to thread graft at least 2 branches and will also need to work on the roots some. I dont see this tree being a completely full heavily ramified tree over time but rather an old oak that has gone through struggle for decades and centuries.

The branches in red will be the potential thread graft branches/trunks as both will need to be removed eventually. The top branch will be my prime candidate for the branch that moves right off of the trunk. I will do some carving and deadwood work at the top of the trunk after that section is removed. Id imagine this vision is a 7-10 year project.

View attachment 367546View attachment 367547

Great artwork🤩. Great vision and great bark. Somehow comparing boringly straight trunk to wonderful picture future tree seems vision won't match reality:(. Nevertheless see what can be done to make it happen.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

View attachment 367546View attachment 367547
Yeah, sorry you have already distracted us from the tree, with your sketch. Very cool looking.. I want you to sketch a tree of mine lol.

Good image for its future though. You could break up that swelling base with some carving. Nice big canvas to make an uro from. Adds to its age, if you are also creating deadwood at the top.

Just a thought... thinking of this tree in nature. For the top of the tree to break off like that, it must have some had some kind of crown, that broke off.

So we establish it would have had some kind of crown; the problem is, in your sketch, the top most branch is the thickest.. the bottom left and right branches, should be the thickest. They would get most of the light due to that crown blocking out the light. They would reach furthest. So I think I would try to wire those bottom ones up to help thicken them and I would let them grow for a few years, whilst you develop other parts. Get them bottom branches thick, just to balance the image out and have it make sense in nature.

The "second trunk " coming from the base is correct, would be going up and would start thickening.
Just my thoughts, Ive been watching Ryan Neil too much these days.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great artwork🤩. Great vision and great bark. Somehow comparing boringly straight trunk to wonderful picture future tree seems vision won't match reality:(. Nevertheless see what can be done to make it happen.
Haha. Thanks Pots. No reason the tree can’t match the sketch, considering I did the drawing by first tracing the general outline and location of the branches using my iPad. It’s exactly the same movement. 😂

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, sorry you have already distracted us from the tree, with your sketch. Very cool looking.. I want you to sketch a tree of mine lol.

Good image for its future though. You could break up that swelling base with some carving. Nice big canvas to make an uro from. Adds to its age, if you are also creating deadwood at the top.

Just a thought... thinking of this tree in nature. For the top of the tree to break off like that, it must have some had some kind of crown, that broke off.

So we establish it would have had some kind of crown; the problem is, in your sketch, the top most branch is the thickest.. the bottom left and right branches, should be the thickest. They would get most of the light due to that crown blocking out the light. They would reach furthest. So I think I would try to wire those bottom ones up to help thicken them and I would let them grow for a few years, whilst you develop other parts. Get them bottom branches thick, just to balance the image out and have it make sense in nature.

The "second trunk " coming from the base is correct, would be going up and would start thickening.
Thanks for the reply Conor! Excellent thoughts a d insights there. I hadn’t considered it that way! It def gets me thinking about the balance of each branch in a different way. I think your also right in carving up the bulbous base. Harry Harrington is great at carving up thick surface roots like that and it always stresses me out for fear of killing the tree! Fortunately I’m aways out on really committing to the idea sketched. I don’t have big plans much this year other than to get get the healthiest growth possible and really establish a healthy root system and tree balance.

the sketch I did using procreate on my iPad. I traced the outline and general features then dropped the picture and embilished the details and added branches and ramification where I wanted! I’m a decent artist and programs like that really help me out. Lol

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

A question for you Conor. Have you, being in the I’m with all the badass oaks and deciduous, seen a thread graft or approach graft done on an Oak?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A question for you Conor. Have you, being in the I’m with all the badass oaks and deciduous, seen a thread graft or approach graft done on an Oak?
I've not seen any thread grafts done on an Oak, but also not looked. There's more than likely, experience of it being done here on this forum.

I have a Portuguese Oak which is early in development and needs a lot of growth. I see no reason why it can't be done. See it done plenty on Maples, id have thought it'd take easier on an Oak, especially a strong one like English.
Hell, maybe ill try it on my Oak one day, it'll be developing a lot of whips.
Id like to take a cutting from a whip, let it produce whips then use next season for root grafts.
You see Mach do it with his Maples, can't help but want to try it.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've not seen any thread grafts done on an Oak, but also not looked. There's more than likely, experience of it being done here on this forum.

I have a Portuguese Oak which is early in development and needs a lot of growth. I see no reason why it can't be done. See it done plenty on Maples, id have thought it'd take easier on an Oak, especially a strong one like English.
Hell, maybe ill try it on my Oak one day, it'll be developing a lot of whips.
Id like to take a cutting from a whip, let it produce whips then use next season for root grafts.
You see Mach do it with his Maples, can't help but want to try it.
I searched for a few threads but didn’t see that one. Thanks Conor. I’m of the opinion that if @markyscott is doing it then it can be done! Though Mark looks a lot of difficult work look oh so easy, and I’m sure it’s not. @markyscott did the approach graft you did in that post Take? I’ll search up your posts for the oaks you’ve got.

My thought would be to approach graft some better surface roots but if I carve up that base a bit I won’t need to. Plus, every approach graft I’ve tried has not worked.

That leaves the new branches I’d like to create. Thread grafts seem more attainable and straightforward. it’ll be interesting to see how this tree responds to being in high quality soil. I’m going to need some serious length on a few of the shoots to put the branch right where I want it.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I searched for a few threads but didn’t see that one. Thanks Conor. I’m of the opinion that if @markyscott is doing it then it can be done! Though Mark looks a lot of difficult work look oh so easy, and I’m sure it’s not. @markyscott did the approach graft you did in that post Take? I’ll search up your posts for the oaks you’ve got.

My thought would be to approach graft some better surface roots but if I carve up that base a bit I won’t need to. Plus, every approach graft I’ve tried has not worked.

That leaves the new branches I’d like to create. Thread grafts seem more attainable and straightforward. it’ll be interesting to see how this tree responds to being in high quality soil. I’m going to need some serious length on a few of the shoots to put the branch right where I want it.
We are in different climates and I've not dealt with that species but I have personally not ever had to do a graft, nor do I think BobbyLane has.

Work with what we have, and can usually back budding on any deciduous tree. I wouldn't assume you'll need to graft, but its certainly something to try. I've not personally tried it yet.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are in different climates and I've not dealt with that species but I have personally not ever had to do a graft, nor do I think BobbyLane has.

Work with what we have, and can usually back budding on any deciduous tree. I wouldn't assume you'll need to graft, but its certainly something to try. I've not personally tried it yet.
Yeah Bobby mentioned the same thing. Maybe I’ll get a bud on that trunk once this tree is strong and vigorous.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Yes it took. This is the grafted branch today. image.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wired down the branch i intend on using for my main thread graft. I’ll need upwards of 14” to complete the graft, which i may not get in a single year. We shall see what type of growth i get. Here is the intended plan.
E340D3A3-10EA-4A13-B63D-A67ED25E6C75.jpegF96D9DF0-4350-419E-855A-000A58767C06.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
AA80CB69-D128-436E-AC20-7DD19FD405A9.jpeg
This shot from the back shows another branch that may become a thread graft also.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't be surprised if you got 24" off those branches this season. This is Q. lobata we're talking about :)
YES!!! I’ll take that Greg! Would be awesome if I could be setup to thread the graft by spring next year. I’m feeling more confident in my spring prep this year than I’ve ever been.

Top Bottom