Large Azalea Collecting. Seeking Advice.

farallon5

Seedling
Reaction score
Absolutely one of my favourite containers for newly collected trees is the Anderson flat, deep propagation version. roughly 15 by 15 by 7 inches with a mesh bottom.
for drainage one can nest this type of flat or place on a porous surface. here is a Shimpaku dug and placed in the deep propagation Anderson flat.View attachment 324382

Thats a pretty nifty container. I'll check that out for sure. One last question. When I transplant these for the first time into a box is it ok for me to prune as well? Or do I need to let them stay as they are for a period of time before I prune and shape? Thank you again!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thats a pretty nifty container. I'll check that out for sure. One last question. When I transplant these for the first time into a box is it ok for me to prune as well? Or do I need to let them stay as they are for a period of time before I prune and shape? Thank you again!
There are plenty of folks who would advise you to prune as well! I am not one of them. Photosynthesis occurs in the leaves. The more leaves the more photosynthesis, the more energy for root production and recovery!

The question to ask is why would one choose to reduce the opportunity for recovery and growth by pruning? If the reduction in roots from collection limits the uptake then some die back may occur, if pruning adds to the reduction of buds and thus leaves, then more die back will occur!

The key to Bonsai development is keeping the tree as healthy as possible every step of the way and ensuring that steps are taken with optimum timing. Not when the tree might survive or there is a chance it might make it!
Details make a difference.
Sorry rant over! ;) Bring out the chain saws and winches!

farallon5

Seedling
Reaction score
There are plenty of folks who would advise you to prune as well! I am not one of them. Photosynthesis occurs in the leaves. The more leaves the more photosynthesis, the more energy for root production and recovery!

The question to ask is why would one choose to reduce the opportunity for recovery and growth by pruning? If the reduction in roots from collection limits the uptake then some die back may occur, if pruning adds to the reduction of buds and thus leaves, then more die back will occur!

The key to Bonsai development is keeping the tree as healthy as possible every step of the way and ensuring that steps are taken with optimum timing. Not when the tree might survive or there is a chance it might make it!
Details make a difference.
Sorry rant over! ;) Bring out the chain saws and winches!

I cant thank you enough for continuiing to help me out. Greatly appreciated! I will be sure to continue posting progress pictures of these as the years progress. Thank you!

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
found these online and thought it may serve this purpose well as long as the tree can fit:
Wow! I've used bus tubs for years, but never saw a perforated one, like these folks have. Had to drill my own holes.
Hope to find that locally cause shipping sucks.
CW

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Wow! I've used bus tubs for years, but never saw a perforated one, like these folks have. Had to drill my own holes.
Hope to find that locally cause shipping sucks.
CW
Try a few different companies. I believe amazon has them. I’ve considered commercial dishwasher dish racks. Buy 2-3’ 1/8” hardware cloth depending on depth of the rack and set it in for drainage and to contain the soil. Sphagnum would work for that purpose too if you’re only going a year between repots. The only thing I’m unsure of is UV effect. Will they break down in the sun?

Top Bottom