Lead Tree Yamadori problem

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I picked little guy out of my friends yard 2 weeks ago. I put it in a pot with bonsai soil until it recovered. It started growing branches again a few days ago. Yesterday I got home from work and it was laying in the ground all day. Iguana must have knocked it out of the pot. Anyways, before I put back in the pot, is there anything I can do with this bent trunk? Should I just stick it in the soil until it gets fine feeder roots and then cut off that bend? I had a small rock under that bend for the last two weeks to keep it stable. I'm afraid if I just it off now I'll end up killing it...

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_8324.JPG
    IMG_8324.JPG
    443.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8325.JPG
    IMG_8325.JPG
    483.4 KB · Views: 30

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do you know the species of this tree? That might help people in giving advice.
It looks like an acacia, but I'm not sure.
If it's a pseudoacacia, then I'd say: cut the tap root, dip the wound some rooting hormone powder and put it in bonsai soil and in a humidity dome for 3-4 weeks.

Also, some support sticks on the sides can't do any harm right now. It looks stupid, but as long as animals keep tipping it out of the pot.. That's the best option for it to restore properly.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Do you know the species of this tree? That might help people in giving advice.
It looks like an acacia, but I'm not sure.
If it's a pseudoacacia, then I'd say: cut the tap root, dip the wound some rooting hormone powder and put it in bonsai soil and in a humidity dome for 3-4 weeks.

Also, some support sticks on the sides can't do any harm right now. It looks stupid, but as long as animals keep tipping it out of the pot.. That's the best option for it to restore properly.

It's a lead tree.. I have it in the subject line.."lead tree yamadori problem" thank you for the advice!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh, I figured it must've meant something like 'this is my leader' or 'this is my lead to go on'. Haha! My bad.
Mimosoids, like this are unknown to me. But then again, I'd still cut that tap root and treat it like a cutting. Since there's already so little roots, I'd say that removing that part as well shouldn't hurt it more than it already is.

It looks like there are nearly no roots left on this one, so it's a tough choice that I can't make:
Option 1: grow it out like this, with a high chance that 90% of the new roots will originate from the large taproot. This basically forces you to do option 2 eventually, but with a healthier tree.
Option 2: cut it, and start with basically nothing more than a cutting.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Oh, I figured it must've meant something like 'this is my leader' or 'this is my lead to go on'. Haha! My bad.
Mimosoids, like this are unknown to me. But then again, I'd still cut that tap root and treat it like a cutting. Since there's already so little roots, I'd say that removing that part as well shouldn't hurt it more than it already is.

It looks like there are nearly no roots left on this one, so it's a tough choice that I can't make:
Option 1: grow it out like this, with a high chance that 90% of the new roots will originate from the large taproot. This basically forces you to do option 2 eventually, but with a healthier tree.
Option 2: cut it, and start with basically nothing more than a cutting.

I really want to cut it but there is a chance it won't survive but on the other hand I want to wait and hopefully more feeder roots grow in more places than just the tap root. I guess ill have to decide

Top Bottom