Leather Tool Roll

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mark makes good one's I use one of his.
He does indeed, but I wanted a hand stitched not machined. So I made one and will appreciate it that much more.

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Sweet! And it sounds like you enjoyed the process too. Not all DIY projects are for everyone (so it's great that there are good options out there to buy) but it's always great when you can have fun making something.

Can we get build details? Leather type/weight, what kind of thread did you use, did you pre-punch or use a stitching awl? Did you do any finishing (oils, stains, burnishing)?

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can we get build details?
Most Definitely,
I used 4 oz veg. deer tanned cow leather, Waxed braided cord (22.9 m).
I pre-punched with a diamond 6 prong (4 mm) punch chisel. I hand stitched it using a saddle stitch "double needle" no awl used.
After it was complete I oiled it with 55 gallons of Neatsfoot oil.....LOL. I also reinforced all the pocket mouths with a copper rivet.

molivella

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
879FDFDB-09C3-4BAA-9609-958D9D4514A1.png 792A3F33-92B6-45C9-AB76-80B0B6242351.png
I just ordered these from Amazon with some Christmas money. Tool roll fits inside canvas bag, bag has tons of compartments like the Home Depot kind but is made of heavy duty cotton with leather trim. Seemed a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the HD tool totes, the tool roll isn’t leather but is durable waxed canvas, and the prices don’t break the bank. Just an alternative to what has been mentioned...

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use a 5 gallon bucket tool organizer. Gives me something to put rolls of wire in as well.

20171226_140915-2268x3024.jpg

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 172282 View attachment 172283
I just ordered these from Amazon with some Christmas money. Tool roll fits inside canvas bag, bag has tons of compartments like the Home Depot kind but is made of heavy duty cotton with leather trim. Seemed a lot more aesthetically pleasing than the HD tool totes, the tool roll isn’t leather but is durable waxed canvas, and the prices don’t break the bank. Just an alternative to what has been mentioned...
Way cool! ! And the price is nice.

Hamlet_Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Most Definitely,
I used 4 oz veg. deer tanned cow leather, Waxed braided cord (22.9 m).
I pre-punched with a diamond 6 prong (4 mm) punch chisel. I hand stitched it using a saddle stitch "double needle" no awl used.
After it was complete I oiled it with 55 gallons of Neatsfoot oil.....LOL. I also reinforced all the pocket mouths with a copper rivet.

Great job and will last a lot better than machine stitched, that's before the addition of rivets!

Here's one I made, can't find a better pic but I'll post this now I've spent a while looking for one. It shows the botom construction using a thin strip as a gusset to protect the stitching from the tools housed sharp ends down.

WP_20170906_17_51_35_Pro (1).jpg

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great job and will last a lot better than machine stitched, that's before the addition of rivets!

Here's one I made, can't find a better pic but I'll post this now I've spent a while looking for one. It shows the botom construction using a thin strip as a gusset to protect the stitching from the tools housed sharp ends down.

View attachment 177671

Very nice, and the gusset is good idea. I almost purchased a tool roll but decided to give it a try. I like to make it myself whenever possible, My next venture is going to be pottery.

Top Bottom