Let's see those dwarf Alberta spruce jams

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Harry Harrington says prune em in May to get a smaller second flush of growth.

I didn't prune it in May...just when I got it in winter.
I figured it wasn't ready for this "refinement" pruning.

I may just cut mine in winter....
And again around fathers dayish...
I'd rather see a second flush then then now.

So far...it seems SOME cutting/bud pulling must be done sometime while it's Growing.

I forgot about ice!

Extend it thru spring and make it forests!
I'm in either way....and I might just make a forest too!

Sorce

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Harry Harrington says prune em in May to get a smaller second flush of growth.

Sorce
Oh yup I see. Yes this works well so far although it was just experiment most of my stuff isn't ready for refinement yet. I'll let the winter cut backs work for back budding for now

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have 2 of these that were planted in a trench in my back yard where it would flood. I believe to help absorb the water and keep the yard from flooding. So yes they don't mind a lot of water. They were both about 4' tall and 3' wide. The growth was all at the ends of the branches. Also both have little foliage on the side that was shaded.
I saw these as my first opportunity to practice bonsai. I bare rooted and put in gravelly soil mix in big pots on either side of my front door. I chopped and jinned the tops and wired. Not drastic chop just 5-6". One died within a year. The other one is doing well and has put new growth out twice in the two years it's been in the pot.
Absolutely zero back budding on the old wood. I believe when we speak of old wood it is referring to older, bare wood. Maybe nursery trees are still pretty young and they can still back bud. If you took a big one out of someone's yard and tried to chop and chase foliage etc, I think it would not be able to be done. Not to say you cant have fun with these trees. I'll post a pic when I can.
At any rate I wasn't going to ever buy one and then I came across one In september in a one gallon pot at box store. $7.00. Strangest thing when I looked, it was 11" tall with a 2" trunk tapered all the way up. I couldn't resist.I was thinking about putting this in the contest but I have another tree I need to style. Then decide which to enter.
IMG_7727.JPG IMG_7747.JPG

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
IMG_20161202_211305.jpg just warming up for the red pot challenge, and twas time for a second styling of this effer. It got cut hard and guy wired last winter. Now it's had a little more branch removal and fully wired.... I wish I'd spent the time wiring and refining on the slanting one I did earlier this fall, instead just some guy wires. maybe it'll give me a chance to gently wash out some old top of the pot soil and replace with new in the spring. IMG_20161202_211451.jpgi had to pull down the wives black comforter before she got home. I'll have to get my own for the garage

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have any. I tossed the only and last one I'll ever buy 2 years ago.
Funny thing. Being from Alberta you would think they are pretty cold hardy. Apparently my winters are meaner than the winters in their native range. Because even the ones planted in the ground get freezer burn unless wrapped in burlap here.
They are only found in really sheltered areas here. For the most part, nothing kills Alberta spruce like Alberta!

Keith m

Seedling
Reaction score
Picked this one up 2 years ago I'm told it's over 15 years old. I was drawn to it and it was in the guys garbage pile. Excited to see what happens to it in the future.

Attachments

• 20170115_154509.jpg
    20170115_154509.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 318

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was out looking at my DAS's yesterday....

And I come to the conclusion that everything written about them is Bullshit.

Keeping that in mind....

I'm gonna repot both my good ones a la @Vance Wood , after Fathers day.

I'm going to turn the Mugo train into a bigger concept.
The entire Summer Repot concept...

Would you believe the trees told me this is what they want?
Will you believe it in September?

Sorce

Top Bottom