Let's see those homemade greenhouses.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I buy these small €50/$56 things at the cheap supermarket. They last 2-3 years. I use a small heater in there if necessary.
DSC02622 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

I get over 150 trees in there during winter
DSC01752 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Lined the roof with bubble wrap
DSC00055 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey Joe,

How many tropicals do you have? Do you really need a greenhouse? Is it possible to just winter them indoors?

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not sure if acer griseum is that cold hardy due to its thin barks.
Micro, Paperbark maple will certainly grow here in Philly. Might be a different story if the tree comes from one of those SC nurseries maybe.
I have a couple (not in pots though). Chase Rosade has a big one up in New Hope at Rosade Bonsai.
CW

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Joe,

How many tropicals do you have? Do you really need a greenhouse? Is it possible to just winter them indoors?

I only have 6 and my garage is heated because of the boiler for my heated floors. But, there's not enough light in there. I have few small square windows in garage with window on the garage doors too but it's still not real bright. I think I have a greenhouse on the way though:)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I only have 6 and my garage is heated because of the boiler for my heated floors. But, there's not enough light in there. I have few small square windows in garage with window on the garage doors too but it's still not real bright. I think I have a greenhouse on the way though:)

But what about the house house? A whole greenhouse for just 6 tropicals seems a tad unnecessary, lol.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Micro, Paperbark maple will certainly grow here in Philly. Might be a different story if the tree comes from one of those SC nurseries maybe.
I have a couple (not in pots though). Chase Rosade has a big one up in New Hope at Rosade Bonsai.
CW
Thanks for the input CW! Come to think of it, the mother tree is right on premise of the nursery. Proving they can thrive here duh! This upcoming winter will be the first for this newb. A bit anxious actually.
Ah yes Rosade Bonsai. Heard of them but I cannot afford the class at 150 a pop :(

I assume you been there?

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
But what about the house house? A whole greenhouse for just 6 tropicals seems a tad unnecessary, lol.

I more than likely will have more coming before winter lol. Plus, the one's I have are good size, some at 25-35 inches tall. I'm just needing a small greenhouse, nothing big.

Last edited:

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have two greenhouses in Costa Rica. To avoid heat I use shadecloth on top with the plastic. My sides are shadecloth without plastic. It gets warm but everything grows well. Without them I couldnt grow whatever , whenever. Six or more months of rain kill lots of things. Then outside growing in dry season wastes water and has its own problems, like bugs.
I will take pics tomorrow to show my design.

Top Bottom