Letting a bonsai pot sit in standing water for a week?

AALen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Has anyone tried leaving their bonsai pots in a couple inches of standing water so the water wicks up the soil? You can probably guess I'll be away from my trees for about a week. I know constantly wet feet is far from the ideal solution, but is this a tenable plan or am I just going to harm my trees? I imagine this isn't very different than when we have several days (or weeks) of constant rain, but please let me know if I'm wrong.

AALen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I agree. I know this isn't the best option, but I had a last minute trip sprung on me and I don't have time to set up anything to deal with watering so was wondering if sitting my trees in water will be okay for 5-6 days. If not, I'll just call my brother to make the trek over each day. He would much prefer I just sit the trees in water though ;)

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@AALen I do this everytime I go away. And it's not ideal but it's better than the certain death they'll face if someone forgets to water them, or doesn't notice a tree or two. I've heard enough stories on here. I use flood tolerant species more often than not, because I like to travel hassle free. For trees that don't like/tolerate wet feet use a really fast draining soil (which you should be doing already) and they'll be okay for a few days (in my experience). I have experienced yellowing in a few trees but they were also the trees that I purchased in pots full of muck that didn't dry out for days. It will continue to be my go to method because I don't trust timers nd they're way more expensive than old buckets

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A side not! when my girlfriend isn't traveling with me I still use the buckets but I don't submerge the trees I just "super water" them, so whatever runs out the bottom is trapped near the pots. This way my girlfriend can water them sparingly and crappily with a small safety net.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@AALenbecause I don't trust timers nd they're way more expensive than old buckets

I've used a timer to water mine when I am away. I set it up a few days ahead of time to make sure it was working. It literally took me 10 minutes to set up and get the coverage correct.

It worked so well, I use it to water my trees every day now. I keep an eye on it to make sure it does its job.

Its always home even when I am not and I don't have to impose on someone who has no idea what they are doing, don't care and doesn't want to do it and/or forgets.

I would just make sure there is a fresh set of batteries in the timer a couple of days before you leave.

I have 2 areas taken care of by 2 timers and 2 spinklers. They've never failed to water.

The timers cost me @$25 each, which is more expensive than a bucket but my trees also cost a few hundred dollars in total not to mention the time I've spent so I think it's worth it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A more intelligent option ;-) for five or six days would be to water them well. put them on the ground in a sheltered spot and MULCH them under about six inches of hardwood mulch. Water it well and then leave. They will be fine. Submerging trees for that long is risky at best, suicidal at worst.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, I'm talking about mulching the trees IN THEIR POTS up to a couple of inches of the trunk.

AALen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Fine. I'll convince my brother to swing by every day. If our relationship falls apart, I blame you guys.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I should have added that 6 days is a pretty good stretch, I max out at 5. And @Paradox brings up a good point, my trees are worth $30-$40 dollars at best haha. I didn't realize you could set up a system for that cheap either. I personally enjoy watering my trees and don't like plastic in my yard, but he brings up a good point. I don't think most people are as weird as I am about that stuff

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A timer, a splitter, and a couple sprinklers would take an hour or two to buy and setup. Doesn't have to be fancy.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fine. I'll convince my brother to swing by every day. If our relationship falls apart, I blame you guys.

If your relationship with your brother is really going to be strained by asking him to do you a favor, pray for rain.
Dont blame us because you failed to plan ahead for this eventual circumstance.

AALen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
If your relationship with your brother is really going to be strained by asking him to do you a favor, pray for rain.

It was a joke o_O

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you are close to Northridge we board small trees for $3 per week

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Rain in So CAl in June lol not likely

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about the old way of cotton wicks in water and through the drainage holes of the pot?
As usual test first please.

Top Bottom