Lifetime warranty garden hose lasted 30 seconds

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Pretty sure I have a hose that is over 30 years old. 30 seconds? How!

Granted, I did have to cut off the ends as they are ballooning sometimes.

Wait, it's not the hose itself but the end that can blow out? No expert on water hoses, but the design I have you have a plastic endpoint that you twist on. Maybe that is the superior design?
The picture of the end that I posted showed a copper sleeve outside the hose that should have been crimped tight over the threaded end piece. It was likely dry fitted and never crimped.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Remember this thread:

@Cajunrider are you going to return and try a new one? Feel free to log your experience in the thread. I felt like it could be a good resource based on peoples experience with hoses.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Remember this thread:

@Cajunrider are you going to return and try a new one? Feel free to log your experience in the thread. I felt like it could be a good resource based on peoples experience with hoses.
I returned the hose and bought the 100 ft Teknor Apex heavy duty hose for 1/3rd less than what I paid for the Good Year.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
My general rule of thumb is to buy cheap and consider upgrading when you need to upgrade. But there are certainly exceptions (anything for cutting! can't mess around with shitty knives) and it's certainly not a guarantee that the "upgrade" is better.

I've always heard that the best hoses are the ones you splice yourself, but I haven't given that a shot. I might because I really need a hose that's exactly 32'...
I am a sucker for a good blade.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Secret is to go to Walmart starting now and they start marking them down. Ive gotten 50’ for $ 30.
I found Flexzilla for $65/100 ft on Amazon. However, I'm set for hoses now. Perhaps after I move to the new place.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have to get a couple hoses for the yard to keep some new sod watered later this week. Not the best time but 3 syllables HOA. I am going to give this one a try.

After seeing people talk about the flexzilla in such good light I am going to get one of those as well and see the difference. These two seem to carry the best reviews in their category for the price

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I went through 3 hoses and 2 outside reels. Hoses popped because of the sun hitting them directly in the summer, and the metal reels gave up because they were in line with my irrigation system, so the pressure busted the frame open, so I moved into this one. I bought it on sale, I think a little over $100, but now I don't have to manually roll the hose back. The only drawback is that the house is 1/2" ID, so the water flow is not that much with either of my DRAMM nozzles. It works great with any of those multi-spray nozzles. It reliefs the pressure when it coils back preventing the unit from expanding at the center.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Consider this comment another vote for Flexzilla. I study/help out at three gardens and they all use Flexzilla.

While we're on the topic, a note about the DRAMM Kaleidescope wand. It only takes a couple months before the included squeeze valve permanently sticks to on. There are reviews that mention this problem. Great wand, but that squeeze valve is sacrificial. So it's a good idea to consider a valve with a more durable design if choosing this wand.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
While we're on the topic, a note about the DRAMM Kaleidescope wand.
I use a Dramm Touch N' Flow; any experience with those? seems to be holding up, but I've only had it for the summer. Looks like a similar valve, but I think mine is from a different line

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use a Dramm Touch N' Flow; any experience with those? seems to be holding up, but I've only had it for the summer. Looks like a similar valve, but I think mine is from a different line

The Touch n' Flow valve is the part in question. When it goes bad, the hand grip part itself opens and closes easily, but the brass bit that sticks out is much more sluggish. I haven't looked into fixing this yet.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'll keep you in mind if mine ever breaks down. I really like the mechanism.

Top Bottom