Lime Sulfer Problem

Dano

Sapling
Reaction score
I need some help folks. This has been an ongoing problem with my jinned junipers. When I apply the lime sulfer on dead wood it looks more lime/green rather than white. Even after serveral weeks in the sun, the color remains a greenish tint. The trees have been properly prepare and dried a few days before painting with lime sulfer. I have seen really snow white jin on other plants. What am I doing wrong. :confused:

Dano

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
Dano,

Here's what I do. Wet the deadwood before applying lime sulfur. Mix water with the lime sulfur into a disposable bowl (10-50% depending on desired strength, less water for early applications) and a few drops of ink. On junipers my preference is for more white, so I skip the ink. I skipped ink on an ume, and it just looks weird, so next time I'll again add ink to dull it some.

Brush the lime sulfur / water mixture onto the wetted deadwood with a disposable brush. Let it dry, and after a day or two in the sun it's bright white.

That's been my experience. I'll let others share theirs.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't use 100% strength. Lime sulfur is pretty strong stuff - I water it down first and have not had green problems.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Where did you get your lime sulpher? I know that there are two different kind of animal here. One is a winter wash and is far weaker than the real thing used to bleach deadwood. learned this the hard way.

Dano

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I bought this product at a bonsai shop but it said Lime Sulpher Spray on the label. That is more than likely than not the problem. From what it sounds like from you guys, get get lime sulpher concentrate and water it down a little and apply. I will do that and let you know. thanks again for the help.:)

Dano

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lime Sulphur spray...

Might not be all lime sulphur. Lime sulphur spray sold at the typical nursery contains dormant oil and lime sulphur. The combination is meant to be sprayed on plants in the winter/early spring to smother and kill bugs--like scale and others.

As a treatment for deadwood, however, it stinks in more ways than one. That oil prevents the lime sulphur from doing it's bleaching job on the wood.

For deadwood, it's best to get a pure lime sulphur solution from a bonsai retailer. Most reputable online outfits carry the right mix. A small bottle is plenty for even a large collection. It's worth it to find the correct pure stuff.

Dano

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks and will do. I wonder if I can paint over the old stuff?

Dano

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another little tip about lime sulfur (and I do use it straight out of the bottle)... besides making certain the wood is wet when you apply it... once it has soaked in and dried to the touch... just hose it off.

The wood will turn gray as soon as you do that. But of course, I'm not a fan of the bone white... so this works well for me.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can't explain what is happening here with the exception of what has already been said wrt "dormant spray". I use mine straight up and never have/had a problem.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lime Sulfur should be applied in the summer when the wood has dried out completely. Depending on wood density, type and weather this can take weeks, or even months. The wood is dried out when it snaps and doesn't bend under pressure.

Top Bottom